BlueDriver OBDII Bluetooth Scanner

Rubirob

TJ Enthusiast
Just wanted to share with you guys this awesome scanner I ordered from amazon.. it connects too your phone and gives you live data from your pcm.. it was 100$ so It’s priced within range of the normal garage mechanic.. if your looking for a obd scanner that does a little more than the normal pulling codes I would recommend this.. it also saves your codes and data so you can bring it up later.
5aa316439b64a780b2402c00325549d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluedriver-obd2-scan-tool/id445403397?mt=8

Is this the same thing? If I didn't already have a scanner, I'd consider this. Of course, then I'd have to buy a smart phone. Right now, my Dixie cups and string will hold me over. Besides, all this hi-tech internet stuff is just a passing fad. If I believed differently, I would sell my stock in Studebaker and invest in some of this new stuff... :)

Reactions: Neal, JMT and Reece
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bluedriver-obd2-scan-tool/id445403397?mt=8

Is this the same thing? If I didn't already have a scanner, I'd consider this. Of course, then I'd have to buy a smart phone. Right now, my Dixie cups and string will hold me over. Besides, all this hi-tech internet stuff is just a passing fad. If I believed differently, I would sell my stock in Studebaker and invest in some of this new stuff... :)

Yea that’s the app, but too use it you have too get the Bluetooth connector that chris posted the link too. For 100$ it’s not much more than a decent obd2 scanner you would pick up at the auto parts store

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Pretty cool! From what I read, it looks like a lot of people really like it.

It seems pretty solid, I will use it for a while and give more feedback. I was first looking at ones that were 250-350 but this one did the same thing as them and seemed to have a easier way of updating so if you have a smartphone it’s worth it in my opinion!

Reactions: Chris
I need a dedicated scanner, why did you ho with this one chris? Seems like a couple others dominate the market.

I honestly can't remember how I found it. I believe it was on a BMW forum back when I used to own my M3. I bought it about 7 years ago and I've used it on every car we've ever owned since then. Works awesome, color screen, easy to use interface, and real time data as well.

I've never had a use for another scanner after buying this one.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
@Rubirob Have you used the scanner much since this original thread? The one you bought is the one I keep seeing in reviews and search results, and I am ready to purchase. Even though I work in IT, I’m still somewhat suspicious of hardware-app partnerships (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi,...) but the features offered by this device seem pretty awesome. By awesome I mean more than I would ever use but exactly what I think I “might” use someday. The price is right. One of the interesting aspects of the Bluedriver is the recommendations that supposedly come along with the trouble codes that it displays. Have you had many opportunities to actually diagnose trouble codes and does it give you decent possibilities in terms of the fix? Any other thoughts about it? Thanks

Reactions: KCsTJ
@Rubirob Have you used the scanner much since this original thread? The one you bought is the one I keep seeing in reviews and search results, and I am ready to purchase. Even though I work in IT, I’m still somewhat suspicious of hardware-app partnerships (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi,...) but the features offered by this device seem pretty awesome. By awesome I mean more than I would ever use but exactly what I think I “might” use someday. The price is right. One of the interesting aspects of the Bluedriver is the recommendations that supposedly come along with the trouble codes that it displays. Have you had many opportunities to actually diagnose trouble codes and does it give you decent possibilities in terms of the fix? Any other thoughts about it? Thanks

Yea I have used it quite a bit, it does a pretty good job giving you vehicle specific “possible problems” causing the code. I have a 2002 ford ranger that I use from time to time. It threw a lean code and gave me like 10 different possible causes.. so I looked up the code and found that it is commonly caused my a cracked vacuumed line.. makes sense lol. I have yet to fix it so idk if that is the problem or not. However the reader listed an air leak as the first few possible solutions. So it seemed like it was up to par with understanding what normally causes certain codes. From my understanding you don’t need cell service for it to work but I am not 100% sure. If it is true tho when on a trail, it could be useful. Here is a screenshot of that code for the ranger. Hope it works haha
e2d24db6f53e8471bbe7ce9b7c45238a.jpg

Now the only issue I have had with it is on my moms car, she has a 2005 Chevy Aveo.. the reader simply will not work on her car. It will try, but fails to connect every time. But every other car I have tried it on it works great.

It also gives you live feed of certain components and that is pretty cool.

All in all if you have the 100$ to buy one I say go for it, it’s a fun tool to have and sometimes makes seeing a check engine light not as bad.. at least I can use this gadget haha

Also I believe torx makes one as well but a lot cheaper, I have no experience with it but many say it is almost identical to this one by BlueDriver.. so if money is a concern maybe look into that one?

Yea I have used it quite a bit, it does a pretty good job giving you vehicle specific “possible problems” causing the code. I have a 2002 ford ranger that I use from time to time. It threw a lean code and gave me like 10 different possible causes.. so I looked up the code and found that it is commonly caused my a cracked vacuumed line.. makes sense lol. I have yet to fix it so idk if that is the problem or not. However the reader listed an air leak as the first few possible solutions. So it seemed like it was up to par with understanding what normally causes certain codes. From my understanding you don’t need cell service for it to work but I am not 100% sure. If it is true tho when on a trail, it could be useful. Here is a screenshot of that code for the ranger. Hope it works haha
View attachment 43792
Now the only issue I have had with it is on my moms car, she has a 2005 Chevy Aveo.. the reader simply will not work on her car. It will try, but fails to connect every time. But every other car I have tried it on it works great.

It also gives you live feed of certain components and that is pretty cool.

All in all if you have the 100$ to buy one I say go for it, it’s a fun tool to have and sometimes makes seeing a check engine light not as bad.. at least I can use this gadget haha

Also I believe torx makes one as well but a lot cheaper, I have no experience with it but many say it is almost identical to this one by BlueDriver.. so if money is a concern maybe look into that one?

Thanks man! I’m going to pull the trigger and get one. You’re exactly right about seeing a check engine light and not freaking out. @Chris posted a link so I’ll get it at Amazon and the forum will get a few pennies.

Reactions: Rubirob and Chris
Thanks man! I’m going to pull the trigger and get one. You’re exactly right about seeing a check engine light and not freaking out. @Chris posted a link so I’ll get it at Amazon and the forum will get a few pennies.

I think you will like it! It was fun to drive around and see the live data haha!

I also bought the Blue driver for my 97 TJ (it will also work for my other stuff). It is a great product, easy to use, no complaints.
I have a vintage Auto Tap that is wired and requires a Windows computer. At the time it was all there was, pretty Stone Age by today's standards.

Reactions: Rubirob
I plugged and paired the BlueDriver. I get the live data but it doesn’t read error codes. Customer service told me that it will read error codes only when check engine light is on. How do I do that on my 2001 TJ?