Tennessee Body lift removal help

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need some help from anyone who would be willing to give it in the West TN/KY/North MS/East AR (Memphis Mississippi Delta) region. I have a 3” body lift on my 1998 SE. This Jeep has never been outside of TN and north MS according to the CARFAX. The only shop I can find in Jackson, TN who will help me wants to charge $900 and they’re saying I also need a $400 OEM bushing kit from the dealer.

I have to believe someone nearby has done this and would sacrifice a Saturday in exchange for $300-400 and an extra set of hands. Maybe a six-pack and some pizza as well.

Anyone willing to help?

4F0EFBF8-45E5-4738-A3E7-0E056D2F94B4.jpeg

Do you have a floor jack and a 4x4? Removing a BL is pretty straightforward.

Just remove all the bolts on 1 side and the center under the grill. Put the jack under the slider area with a 4x4 to lift the tub just enough to remove the pucks and the long bumpers on the sides of the grill, lower the body down, tighten bolts, do the other side.

You'd likely want to pull the fan shroud prior because its likely been lowered.

You got this. If you have any questions post them up and we'd be happy to coach you through it.

@jrmcafee could you take a close up photo of the pucks? From the photo it looks like the oem rubber is still in place and you'd simply need shorter bolts.

@jrmcafee could you take a close up photo of the pucks? From the photo it looks like the oem rubber is still in place and you'd simply need shorter bolts.
So that’s what I thought as well. Yes, the original rubber is still there and I already have the bolts. I’m simply a little gunshy of taking it on with all the horror stories I’ve heard of the tub either getting off-line from the frame or bolts not lining up properly if the job is done in steps.

So that’s what I thought as well. Yes, the original rubber is still there and I already have the bolts. I’m simply a little gunshy of taking it on with all the horror stories I’ve heard of the tub either getting off-line from the frame or bolts not lining up properly if the job is done in steps.
That's why you leave one side loosened but still attached. Otherwise it can move. I haven't had any issues the multiple times I've lifted the tub but mine are only 1.25" tall.

Reactions: jrmcafee
With it going from a 3 inch lift to no lift, would it be wise to remove one side, put some kind of shorter spacer in and the bolts loosely, then remove the other side and install bolts loosely, then remove the spacers from the other side and tighten everything down?

I've never done this, just wondering if going from 3 to 0 would be a lot of leaning of the body or problems getting bolts in on the first side removed because of the higher angle?

Just curious...

@jrmcafee , if I was closer, I'd give you hand with it.

Loosen everything, including the fan shroud. When you take the first side out, thread in the longer bolts. Then lower that side down and do the other side. Once everything is back on the stock mounts, thread in the shorter, stock bolts.

Definitely undo the fan shroud before doing this.

I just removed a 3" BL by myself. I was a bit intimidated....but It really wasn't that hard. Not knowing what was changed with the old BL, I bought a 1.25 BL kit that would have everything I needed and sort of reversed engineered the shorter lift install. I swapped the longer spacers on one side with the shorter ones and reinstalled the longer bolts to keep everything lined up. Went to the other side and dropped it, swapped out the longer bolts and then went around and tightened all the bolts. My 3" BL also had transfer shifter drop, radiator drop, steering linkage bracket, shifter extension and a gas filler tube extension that needed to be fixed. Take a look at your front 2 radiator bumpers to see what you will need. Some kits add an extension to the stock bumpers...my kit had longer replacement bumpers and the needed stock ones that were long gone.