Body lift with MML?

txfiremn

Supporting Member
I know this has been a topic before but I couldn't get a definitive answer. I bought a 2002 TJ Apex with a 4" Skyjacker lift and the previous owner also installed a belly up TC skid plate, I believe to be a Skyjacker brand. Unfortunately, they did not do any of the mods to run a belly up. So, I'm trying to make it right. So far I have ordered a Teraflex mega short SYE, Adam's driveshaft, adjustable rear UCAs, and MML. I will also be rebuilding the TC including a new chain because the TC will only allow me to move the Jeep in 4lo only, 2H and 4H only grinds and makes a terrible racket. My question is, do I need to install a 1" body lift with the MML?

Also, if I need anything else for the belly up, please let me know what that is, I plan to make a build thread once all the parts are here.

20220415_170630.jpg

There's no reason NOT to do a BL with an MML. No downside to it.
p.s. Please get bigger tires and paint your fender flares when you're done with the other mods. ;)

I agree with DropTopDon. It could be as simple as the linkage out of adjustment. If you haven't already I'd check that before rebuilding. It's not hard to adjust.

View attachment 327297
The grinding in 4hi may just be because the stock linkage doesn't work well after the jeep gets lifted. I had the same issue and got the savvy cable shifter and it got rid of the grinding.
So, I have messed with the linkage to see if its bound up and it doesn't seem to be. I can also click through 2H, 4H, and 4L under the jeep and it still does the horrible grinding. I did order the Novak cable shifter, I forgot to add that to the list in the original post.

Reactions: MangoTango and JMT
There's no reason NOT to do a BL with an MML. No downside to it.
p.s. Please get bigger tires and paint your fender flares when you're done with the other mods. ;)
The flares have already been painted, haha! It will be in the build thread as well. So, you are saying that the BL could be done at another time and that its not necessary right away?

The flares have already been painted, haha! It will be in the build thread as well. So, you are saying that the BL could be done at another time and that its not necessary right away?
It’s hard for me to imagine that the TCase is pushed up so high with the belly up Skid without a BL already installed. Maybe the PO clearanced the tub because i haven’t seen it possible without either clearancing the tub or a body lift. If the TCase is clearing the transmission tunnel there is no reason to add a body lift for that purpose. YOu may want to add one if you need more room for bigger tires.

Also, when you cycle the suspension, is the rear trackbar clearing the gas tank and gas tank crossmember? Usually to do a belly up you need an angled rear trackbar relocation bracket.

Reactions: MangoTango
Also, when you cycle the suspension, is the rear trackbar clearing the gas tank and gas tank crossmember? Usually to do a belly up you need an angled rear trackbar relocation bracket.
The original owner installed a 2" drop with the belly up. You can just make it out in the pic I posted. It definitely has the trackbar relocation bracket though.

Reactions: JMT
The original owner installed a 2" drop with the belly up. You can just make it out in the pic I posted. It definitely has the trackbar relocation bracket though.
Is it the ANGLED trackbar relocation bracket? It’s different than the normal relocation bracket.