Boiling Coolant

JJens95

I have read many threads regarding a boiling coolant reservoir, however I’m looking for some further opinions. Recently I was driving in mid 40C weather, turned engine off and noticed the coolant reservoir boiling. When I drove it the next day for about 20 minutes, same thing happened, I then topped up the rese. Drove another 20 and then turned engine off. At this point, the rese was boiling and there was a heavy leak coming from underneath.

I have changed the rad cap, noticed rusty coloured coolant inside rad, changing the thermostat next and will be looking for any leaks. Engine light has been on for Some time now, however, when I drove last, It was flashing at me and when I tried to accelerate, bogged down. Some sort of misfire happening here? Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations.

Cheers 🤘

LOL wow. That escalated quickly. Im probably wrong but you may want to check your oil when its running hot see if it looks foamy. can even remove the dipstick to see if foam comes out. Ima assume you either have a crack in the head/block or it overheated and warped an internal.

Reactions: Blondie70
If your thermostat got stuck closed and you kept driving you can deff overheat it and start plenty of issues.

I had a bad radiator that started like this besides the CEL.

It would boil after driving ~30 miles from work. Did a coolant flush and all seemed good. A week or so later my radiator exploded in the parking lot literally 5 mins after parking it. (Crack along the top-side)

Reactions: Jeffseven777
I have read many threads regarding a boiling coolant reservoir, however I’m looking for some further opinions. Recently I was driving in mid 40C weather, turned engine off and noticed the coolant reservoir boiling. When I drove it the next day for about 20 minutes, same thing happened, I then topped up the rese. Drove another 20 and then turned engine off. At this point, the rese was boiling and there was a heavy leak coming from underneath.

I have changed the rad cap, noticed rusty coloured coolant inside rad, changing the thermostat next and will be looking for any leaks. Engine light has been on for Some time now, however, when I drove last, It was flashing at me and when I tried to accelerate, bogged down. Some sort of misfire happening here? Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations.

Cheers 🤘
The rusty colored coolant is the key to your problem...
You need to chemically flush the cooling system.
The rust is not allowing the radiator to dissipate the heat thru the cooling fins...; it is acting like an insulator....
Be forwarned... that once you flush the cooling system; the gunk inside that will be removed is keeping any old seals from leaking...

Reactions: Blondie70
Two possibilities come mind. Your thermostat has stuck closed, or the radiator cap doesn't have the correct 18 lb. pressure rating. If you buy a new thermostat make sure it has the proper 195 degree rating and that it is *not* a "fail-safe" model. Thermostats sold as fail-safe aren't as likely to fail in the closed position but they're way more likely to fail in the open position.