Bolt-in Dana 44 and Dana 30

Jay P

TJ Enthusiast
I found these locally for $1200 for the set including the tires and wheels. They would probably need a good freshen up job and brakes. They have 4.56 gears in both. Should I? Would you? I have 3.07s right now. These things are gone as fast as they post. I set up a pick up for tomorrow afternoon. They look beat up but you can clean em up good enough right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ebfd85e1ff5d44b7e956ccdcd0266bc6.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
Seems like a fair price to me especially since that’s a Dana 44 rear. Would be cool if it was a HP Dana 30.

I’d jump all over that one. If you decide not to go that route, you can always resell it and make your money back.

Well I did it, the tires have good tread. It they’re General Grabber AT2 33x12. 50 They look huge and wide! Not sure I want to deal with the issues that they may cause. But for now I’m going to get new brakes and chromoly shafts. The rear has an LSD so I think I’ll throw a locker in the front for now. Gears are 4:56 and I have the 32rh. Might be too low from what I’ve read. Lots of decisions to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Almost remember you'll need to likely get a new rear driveshaft.

Are they open diff or any lockers? I'd take that into play but for a Dana 44 rear its worth it.

Almost remember you'll need to likely get a new rear driveshaft.

Are they open diff or any lockers? I'd take that into play but for a Dana 44 rear its worth it.

There is some sort of limited slip or Truetrac in the rear. New rear driveshaft? Forgive my ignorance but why is that?

Good buy. Totally worth it. I bought my Dana 44 for $800 with 3.73 gears.

So, you'll need a shorter rear driveshaft because the pinion end of the Dana 44 is longer than a Dana 35 by about 1". You'll also need a new spicer joint back there for the new driveshaft. You may be able to find a used driveshaft from a Rubicon for cheap. They work.

Here's a link to the spicer joint.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CKP1PW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Good buy. Totally worth it. I bought my Dana 44 for $800 with 3.73 gears.

So, you'll need a shorter rear driveshaft because the pinion end of the Dana 44 is longer than a Dana 35 by about 1". You'll also need a new spicer joint back there for the new driveshaft. You may be able to find a used driveshaft from a Rubicon for cheap. They work.

Here's a link to the spicer joint.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CKP1PW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Ahh ok thanks, I appreciate the help guys. Oh and it will be worth it. My 3.07 gears on a Dana 35 with 31s is alright but bumping to 33s or 35s will ease my mind. This will be a slow process to get them ready to bolt in.

Ahh ok thanks, I appreciate the help guys. Oh and it will be worth it. My 3.07 gears on a Dana 35 with 31s is alright but bumping to 33s or 35s will ease my mind. This will be a slow process to get them ready to bolt in.

Yeah, my Dana 44 has been sitting on the garage floor since July! It's painted and looks real purty, but it aint re-geared and in yet. Arghhhh

Yeah, my Dana 44 has been sitting on the garage floor since July! It's painted and looks real purty, but it aint re-geared and in yet. Arghhhh

Haha, I’m going to re do the whole thing with brakes and shafts and clean it up real nice also. Can’t wait to get it under the TJ but then I’ll need to decide on tires for the low gears.

Haha, I’m going to re do the whole thing with brakes and shafts and clean it up real nice also. Can’t wait to get it under the TJ but then I’ll need to decide on tires for the low gears.

Looks like you're about set for 33's, with a 0.5-1" body lift you'd be there for sure.

Have you checked the gears in the diff?

My pinion gear on the Dana 44 had damaged teeth. It totally sucked finding that.

Also check the splines if you intend to reuse the shafts at all.

Not yet but there is some play in the front U joint that I’m worried about. It’s not bad but it’s noticeable.

Not yet but there is some play in the front U joint that I’m worried about. It’s not bad but it’s noticeable.

I really hope they are good to go. Cool you got a set of wheels and tires with the axles. And in 4.56, that's just a killer deal if all is well.

Reactions: Jay P
There is some sort of limited slip or Truetrac in the rear. New rear driveshaft? Forgive my ignorance but why is that?

The dana 44 has about a 2 or so inch longer housing then the 35. You could push the axle back enough with adjustable control arms but the shock will hit the exhaust. Best option is a new driveshaft or to have yours shortened.

Great deal BTW.

Reactions: Jay P
The dana 44 has about a 2 or so inch longer housing then the 35. You could push the axle back enough with adjustable control arms but the shock will hit the exhaust. Best option is a new driveshaft or to have yours shortened.

Great deal BTW.

Thanks for that. I had no idea.