Booster pack recommendations

The shuggs

TJ Enthusiast
I'm looking to get a booster pack since they are easier to use than cables, and it's quicker than waiting for someone to come by on the smaller highways.
Which ones are more reliable?
I'll need a lot on cranking amps since it usually gets close to -40 at least once each winter. Also I don't need any of the additional crap that a lot of the bigger ones come with; I already have an ARB compressor, and a couple flashlights.

I use this:

91wVViz9ThL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I believe that @mrblaine uses a "higher horsepower" version from the same company.

I use this:

View attachment 170018

I believe that @mrblaine uses a "higher horsepower" version from the same company.
I do and it failed miserably at jump starting the diesel when both batteries died recently. I am not sure if I was expecting too much or what but given the success of the miniscule no name version I also have, I did figure that the big one would do much better.

Failed as in not enough juice to crank? I have always been surprised that any of these little units would start a diesel.

My unit seems to work fine with gasoline engines. I've never tried starting a high compression diesel or overcoming two dead batteries at once.

Failed as in not enough juice to crank? I have always been surprised that any of these little units would start a diesel.

My unit seems to work fine with gasoline engines. I've never tried starting a high compression diesel or overcoming two dead batteries at once.
Hook it up, give it a few seconds to deliver some current into the batteries, hit the starter, won't even crank it over 1 full revolution. Let it sit a few more seconds, try again with same result.

Pull a TJ over, hook up the jumper cables, let it kick some charge into the batteries for a few seconds, fired it right up.

Reactions: JMT
I use a Noco GB40. It has worked well when I needed to jump a car or charge cell phones, et al

I bought one of those micro jump packs off Amazon like 3 or 4 yrs ago on a black Friday deal for like $35. It still works awesome to this day.
A couple years ago a buddy stopped me at the marina and asked if I had a jump pack. I hesitantly said yes, not knowing if it would get a V8 started. We ended up getting 2 8.1 liter engines started that day. Both of us were shocked. Still works great too

KIMG0605_copy_800x450.jpg

We bought this to boost off semi trucks with. It's not cheap but it will boost off 3 dead trucks before it needs recharged. I am thinking of getting one for my personal use.

They used to be really expensive. It'll be interesting to see if the inexpensive capacitor style work as well.

Although the "super cap" jump starters are down to $140, that is still double what I paid for a Noco Genius GB40 three years ago.

I think I'll stick with my Lithium Ion jump pack for awhile longer.

Reactions: Daryl
Microstart XP-10 or XP-10HD

+1 on this. I bought mine direct from Micro Start, after reading some bad reviews from units purchased from Amazon. It seems Amazon sold some counterfeit units. When owner contacted Micro-Start about warranty repair or replacement, the units purchased from Amazon did not have a serial number.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch