Bought my first TJ today—what’s next?

OTU

Supporting Member
Hi - brand new to this community and looking for some help where to start with the upgrades. Got a black 2006 TJ Model X (some pictures from the dealer below) Will use it mainly for fun and some easy off-roading, nothing wild. Will use the new one also to give my daughter some drive lessons. Looking for some advice how to find the right upgrades. Main things: A lift kit, new headlight and maybe a good stereo. If anybody should know what kind of rims this are - please let me know - I need to buy one for the spare wheel ...
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2383.jpg

2” spring lift, 1.25” body lift, 1” mml, adjustable front track bar, rear trackbar relocation bracket, Rancho 5000x shocks, Rockford Fosgate PS-8, Polk DB series, 32’s and go have fun.

Before you do anything to a 2006 check the "OPDA" (Oil Pump Drive Assembly) has been changed from original! if not go straight online and buy a Crown OPDA unit and change it out! dont wait like I did, look up OPDA on this forum.
Welcome from Australia :)

• Dislike
Reactions: 04Rubi and L J
Every old Jeep I buy starts with a Crown factory body bushing set and a M.0.R.E. 1” Aluminum body lift. 1.25” savvy looks great also. The body kit is a great start to get under your jeep and look around, see what’s rusted or not. I’ll always drop the fuel tank and clean up the tank and rear crossmembers to check for rust/condition. But what do I know, up northeast everything is rusted. Good luck.

Reactions: OTU and L J
figure out what you want and work towards that goal. It’s kinda like college where changing your mind is expensive.

Reactions: Hog
Jeep is just a question of money. . . how far do you want to go?

Because a dealer prepped the Jeep, I'd start with de-glossing and wiping off all the excess protectant spray- especially the steering wheel and foot pedals. Then I'd move on to improvements that deal with neglected or overdue maintenance. Fixing leaks, changing old fluids, and digging into any oddities that were detected during inspection, test drive, and ride home.

I'd recommend finding take-off JK headlights (need adapter harnesses) that'll offer improvements and a wider variety of bulb upgrades. Easy wheeling + teen driver, I'd keep it simple with a 1.25" body lift and upgrading shocks (if necessary).

I certainly agree with Midtenn's statement. Are you going to keep it for a long time? Don't install cheap junk because you will end up pitching that junk and buying quality. Determine what tire size is going to be the ultimate goal as everything seems to be determined by that. Welcome, and remember...… Just Empty Every Pocket.

For your wheel question, going off the scuffed logo, it looks like they're American Eagle Alloy wheels. I don't think they're around anymore, so used may be your only option

Eagle-Alloys-Series-1122-400x516.jpg

Reactions: OTU
Welcome. Take it offroad like it is and get to know it's capabilities before you decide on any lift kits. New headlights and stereo are a must.
I agree 100% get to know your Jeep first before you mess with it. Then decide what is important to you.
figure out what you want and work towards that goal. It’s kinda like college where changing your mind is expensive.
I certainly agree with Midtenn's statement. Are you going to keep it for a long time? Don't install cheap junk because you will end up pitching that junk and buying quality. Determine what tire size is going to be the ultimate goal as everything seems to be determined by that. Welcome, and remember...… Just Empty Every Pocket.

Even with the stereo not near the top of my list, maybe because I'm a soft top/ no top kinda guy? I agree 100% with all that. I'm not sure if the total is now 500% or if each of those is now 200% but either way:

Welcome to Jeep ownership and to this Forum!!

I put a 2.5 OME lift and a 1” BL on my 2000TJ. I could not believe how much better the ride was over stock on the road. I do notice a slight vibration off the line on hard acceleration and at around 70-75. THis reminds me to check if the mechanic did a T-Case drop (it’s been a long time since the lift was put on). The vibe is barely noticeable but I still may do a T-Case drop if it has not been installed or do a 1” motor mount lift.

Last edited:
drive it while you read up for a yr and then can make educated decisions on what you require rather than buying and finding out later it wern't the best your $ coulda got you.

Reactions: Phil Younger
2” spring lift, 1.25” body lift, 1” mml, adjustable front track bar, rear trackbar relocation bracket, Rancho 5000x shocks, Rockford Fosgate PS-8, Polk DB series, 32’s and go have fun.
Thanks for the quick response - why did you combine a body lift with a spring lift - is there any big advantage vs taking a 3.5" lift kit?

drive it while you read up for a yr and then can make educated decisions on what you require rather than buying and finding out later it wern't the best your $ coulda got you.
I think this is a pretty wise approach, even I must admit I´m not sure if I will be able to wait this long ... did you do it this way?

Jeep is just a question of money. . . how far do you want to go?

Because a dealer prepped the Jeep, I'd start with de-glossing and wiping off all the excess protectant spray- especially the steering wheel and foot pedals. Then I'd move on to improvements that deal with neglected or overdue maintenance. Fixing leaks, changing old fluids, and digging into any oddities that were detected during inspection, test drive, and ride home.

I'd recommend finding take-off JK headlights (need adapter harnesses) that'll offer improvements and a wider variety of bulb upgrades. Easy wheeling + teen driver, I'd keep it simple with a 1.25" body lift and upgrading shocks (if necessary).
Good point! Everything is so shiny - does not look like a 15-year-old Jeep ...