Brake caliper question?

01CuHed

TJ Enthusiast
Yesterday I re-greased my caliper pins and sanded down/lubricated cast slides while inspecting steering knuckles for any signs of divots. Brake pads still look new with even wear along with the rotors and best of all no divots. I had no braking issues this was just regular maintenance and inspection. Did notice on passenger side after replacing one of the caliper pins in boot and pushing pin back and forth there was more resistance versus the other pins. Could this be a sign that the caliper is starting to go bad?

Being new to working on brakes I just found a youtube video that addresses my problem that I was lucky enough to catch early thanks to this forum! My initial task was to check for steering knuckle divots which allowed me to catch this problem in it's early stage. Pretty sure my solution is to get a new caliper slide pin boot and clean up the housing/bore it sits in.

Reactions: qslim
Being new to working on brakes I just found a youtube video that addresses my problem that I was lucky enough to catch early thanks to this forum! My initial task was to check for steering knuckle divots which allowed me to catch this problem in it's early stage. Pretty sure my solution is to get a new caliper slide pin boot and clean up the housing/bore it sits in.

Yeah you're on the right track. You want those slider pins to move freely and equally though the caliper bore. When I do disc brakes pads I always clean the pins up on a wire wheel and put a good coat of grease on them, and I like to get in the slider bore with a little cylindrical brush and then clean it out with a tissue wrapped around a pencil or something similar if the pins still don't feel right.

Reactions: 01CuHed