Brake fluid change

Adams2123

So I just got a 99 TJ and the driver side brake locked up on me. I replaced the rotors, calipers, and pads but the driver side wouldn't bleed or release the brakes. I just ordered some new brake hoses as I found out that could be the issue thanks to this forum now the question is how much brake fluid do I need to fully flush the system? I'm probably going to go with DOT 4 since why not?

20190421_144955.jpg

20190421_144925.jpg

Excellent idea, every couple years is not excessive. Which reminds me it's time for me do mine. Two quarts of DOT 3/4 is what you need. Start by using a turkey baster to suck the old dirty fluid out of the brake reservoir.

Reactions: John Scoggins
On a system that's never been bled before you may find yourself running 64oz+ through it to get clean fluid. You can do this initial bleed to get clean fluid one person, once it's clean you're going to need a second person to help. If you don't, air can get past the bleeder threads. Don't let the MC run dry.

DOT3 is fine. I've had really bad luck with Prestone from online. Too many busted seals even if they aren't leaking. Amsoil DOT 3/4 containers have a stronger seal and I can get it delivered to my door a few dollars cheaper than Prestone anyway so that's what I've been running lately.

Don't store open brake fluid, once you open a container it needs to be used.

Lay down a good bed of paper towels since brake fluid can end up ruining paint.

I was just getting ready to do mine too. Now I know how much to get. I just received to pressure bleeder yesterday. FSM says 15-20psi for pressure.