Brake fluid leak following full rear brake job

fieldhuis

Howdy gang,

Just picked up my TJ after rear brake job which included shoes, drums and cylinders. When I got home I noticed fluid on the underside of my fenders and this morning noticed several other wet areas near both rear wheels. At this point I’m not experiencing any alarming functional issues re: braking.

Clearly I’m going to call the shop to ask what’s going on, but the weather is perfect this holiday weekend and was hoping to get a few more ‘doors off’ days of driving before it gets cold.

So my question for the community…

Is this normal after a brake job on a TJ (I think I already know the answer).

But more importantly, is it safe to drive this weekend until I speak to the shop?

Thanks Ryan

6BC8276A-C51F-4A49-9D5F-6CD0E4214B6E.jpeg

1C5CF4B9-D35C-446D-889E-4C2C69B4D433.jpeg

4F94982B-2486-4695-A581-3D15575FFE2D.jpeg

450FDAB8-E15D-4655-91B1-BE29B61D0EBA.jpeg

3C3C3E91-4065-42F7-B878-1312830EBE8F.jpeg

Howdy gang,

Just picked up my TJ after rear brake job which included shoes, drums and cylinders. When I got home I noticed fluid on the underside of my fenders and this morning noticed several other wet areas near both rear wheels. At this point I’m not experiencing any alarming functional issues re: braking.

Clearly I’m going to call the shop to ask what’s going on, but the weather is perfect this holiday weekend and was hoping to get a few more ‘doors off’ days of driving before it gets cold.

So my question for the community…

Is this normal after a brake job on a TJ (I think I already know the answer).

But more importantly, is it safe to drive this weekend until I speak to the shop?

Thanks Ryan

View attachment 274934

View attachment 274935

View attachment 274936

View attachment 274937

View attachment 274938
Perfectly normal. In fact when they only leak that small amount, I'm not sure we can keep it steady enough to keep the reservoir flushed out by adding more as needed.

Thanks mrblaine. I’ve attached a pic of the reservoir as well. Should I assume that is ok too even though the fluid level is well below the ‘add’ mark? Thanks much.

70CC8DA6-D49E-46AE-9786-6CC2ECE5E1CF.jpeg

It’s below the level of the horizontal seam in the reservoir. I just called another mechanic in the area who has good reviews. They said the shoes and drums should be replaced - again - if they’ve been contaminated with fluid, which seems a given with how wet it is back there.

4AE1C42E-6B40-4C69-A9B1-DAE776014995.jpeg

That shop may have cross threaded the hardline fitting onto the wheel cylinder? Your master cylinder level should not be that low after a brake job. Last year I had to change out a wheel cylinder on a 2001 Sport TJ and I remember it being tough to discern whether I had a good thread start or if it was cross-threading?

Well, based upon the shop’s good reviews, I expect that they will make it right at no cost to me. I assume that should include a tow too, right?

It’s interesting that the symptoms are identical on both wheels.

Just refill the reservoir before you go and carefully drive it in. I don’t think it is necessary for anyone in this situation to incur a tow bill.