Brake light issue

Dmack

So I had body shop replace front fenders on my 2004 TJ Rubicon. When I picked it up and brought it home the brake light on the dash chimes and stays on and won’t go off. I’ve tried wiggling the Ebrake and stomping on the foot brake to see if it was a loose brake switch connection but that didn’t work. Brakes work fine and the master cylinder is full. I could only find one connection that would have been unplugged and plugged back in when they took the fender off. See picture... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

539A246C-85BF-475D-9295-C1B735514C74.jpeg

Ok new wrinkle. When I unplug that connector the light goes off. Has to have something to do with that connector but I’m not sure what that connection controls...

Ok new wrinkle. When I unplug that connector the light goes off. Has to have something to do with that connector but I’m not sure what that connection controls...
The system thinks you have a leak, the connector goes onto the plunger switch that lets the shuttle valve close off one circuit if the pressure is too high on the other side.

The system thinks you have a leak, the connector goes onto the plunger switch that lets the shuttle valve close off one circuit if the pressure is too high on the other side.
so could it be a bad plunger switch? Brakes work fine and no leaks that I can see.

Ok so the brakes have been flushed and bled. Still have brake light on. Also have had a front turn signal go out and a rear on the opposite side. Starting to seem like the body shop missed a ground or something is unplugged. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

have you forked the shuttle valve back into the middle of the shuttle valve where it's supposed to be? When one of my brake hoses busted, Mine shifted over which of course lit up the light. After I fixed the hose and rebled the system, I had to remove the switch and fork the switch back over to the normal resting position with a small screwdriver. No issues since.

have you forked the shuttle valve back into the middle of the shuttle valve where it's supposed to be? When one of my brake hoses busted, Mine shifted over which of course lit up the light. After I fixed the hose and rebled the system, I had to remove the switch and fork the switch back over to the normal resting position with a small screwdriver. No issues since.
Haven’t tried that yet. Just seems funny that I also have turn signals going bad at the same time the brake light issue came up. And it’s not the bulbs, I’ve tried replacing.

Well, I couldn't tell you for sure but I don't see what relation the turn signals would have to the brake bulb. the bulb always has power and is grounded by whatever source needs to light it. You messing with the shuttle valve switch and the light going off pretty much gives you the answer for why the brake light bulb is lit, or at least where the problem is originating: that switch and combo valve situation.

Unthread the switch on the combo valve and press the button in and out (obviously with wiring connected). Watch the light and see what happens. Brake fluid won't come out when you remove the switch, so don't worry about that.

As for the turn signals, the front turn signals (and headlights, fog lights, side markers, horns, and windshield washer pumps) all ground through those wires bolted to the grille near each headlamp. The tail light (and turn signal within) grounds via the three bolts to the tub. You might have some bigger issues at hand but I doubt they are any way related to the dash brake light issue.

So the brake light is fixed thanks to everyone’s help. I unthreaded switch and clean everything up and it’s working properly now. Thanks for help! Now I just have to trace down turn signal electrical issues and I’ll be home free..... at least until the next problem arises. LOL

So describe exactly what's going on with turn signals? One front side doesn't blink and the other side rear doesn't blink and as I understand it, bulbs were tried and did not fix it?

Good to hear on the dash brake light.

Front driver side fender turn facing forward does not work. The one on the fender flare does work. That was discovered Wednesday. I changed bulbs and that didn't fix it. Now today the rear passenger turn signal quit working, although the brake light does work. Haven't had a chance to put an new 1157 in the rear to see if that fixes it. I'm think that a new bulb will fix the rear since the brake light part works and it's the same bulb. More worried about the front since I just had the fender replaced.

Does the front driver parking lamp portion of that bulb work or does the entire bulb not work? May have an issue with the socket the bulb goes into.

In the rear, I don't think it's the bulb. The brake and turn signal use the same filament. If one function works but the other doesn't, then you probably have a turn signal switch issue or a wiring issue in the dash before the brake and turn signal wiring merges into the turn signal switch.

I will check and see. I believe the front doesn't work for either the turn signal or parking lamp. I will double check. I have a new socket ordered for that just in case. They don't cost much.
I will have to investigate the rear probably tomorrow when the rain stops. Thanks for the direction. I'll let you know what I find out.

I will check and see. I believe the front doesn't work for either the turn signal or parking lamp. I will double check. I have a new socket ordered for that just in case. They don't cost much.
I will have to investigate the rear probably tomorrow when the rain stops. Thanks for the direction. I'll let you know what I find out.
Might try swapping front sockets left to right to see if that changes anything.

Sounds good on the rear. My guess will be the turn signal switch for that one. The wiring for the brake light and turn signal on that side is all one wire all the way from the turn signal switch. So your wiring is good if the brake portion works. If turn signal doesn't work there then you probably have a faulty turn signal switch not cancelling the brake light on that side properly.

Might try swapping front sockets left to right to see if that changes anything.

Sounds good on the rear. My guess will be the turn signal switch for that one. The wiring for the brake light and turn signal on that side is all one wire all the way from the turn signal switch. So your wiring is good if the brake portion works. If turn signal doesn't work there then you probably have a faulty turn signal switch not cancelling the brake light on that side properly.
On the front... the forward facing light doesn’t work for either driving/parking or run signal. The light mounted on fender flare works for turn signal but not driving/parking function.

On the front... the forward facing light doesn’t work for either driving/parking or run signal. The light mounted on fender flare works for turn signal but not driving/parking function.
That is definitely a funky set of problems. It could be the ground on the grille not making great contact, so check that out. However, headlights and fog lights, washer pumps, and horns are all on there, so you'd think they may not function properly either. Could just have two bad sockets. Really hard to tell but swapping sockets around and trying new sockets may narrow down the issue. Really tough to say much about it without being there in person.

The front lighting harness is not too difficult to remove if it gets to the point that you need to open it up and inspect wires for corrosion, or exposed copper. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.