Brake Line Blew

harbiison

TJ Enthusiast
so i had a date with death today on my way home. while i was stopping abruptly i felt a lot of play in my brake pedal pulled over and sure enough i blew a line. i had about 15-20 miles to home. i didn’t want to pay for a tow truck so i stopped at autozone bought brake fluid and stopped every so often. it was pouring out of front right fender so the line led to my front right. i guess i got to change it sooner than later. any tips for a noobie?

Find which line has the hole and follow it back to the next fitting or back to the proportioning valve.
Use a line wrench or flare nut wrench to loosen the fitting and replace the line.
You can download the PDF of the Parts List from the TJ Resources section.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/
You may be able to locate the line you need on this website.

https://www.inlinetube.com/collections/all/?year=2004&make=jeep&model=wrangler#?f=Brake Lines|

Reactions: harbiison
Replace all of the rusted hard lines. Simple and inexpensive.
p.s. I had the same thing happen on my old 98'. I drove 20 miles and didn't get close to any vehicles on the drive home.

Last edited:
Reactions: harbiison
dont use a standard wrench when disassembling brake line fittings. your gonna want to pick up a flare nut wrench, way less likely to round off the fittings. been a while since ive done line work so not sure what sizes you'll be after.

example of flare nut wrench if your not familiar.
CD56FB6E-A51E-498C-B33F-56B4D5BAF44F_4_5005_c.jpeg

also if your working on the soft line which attaches to the caliper dont forget theres 2 crush washers to seal the hose fitting/bolt to the caliper. one goes between the hose and caliper and the other between the banjo bolt head and hose. make sure to remove the old ones and replace with new. crush washers can typically be reused but its best to do so in a pinch only such as on the side of the road or trail. if it is indeed the soft rubber hose that failed, one would be wise to replace them all.

EB7A0C60-8227-42B0-B3C8-22B0053BA241.jpeg

inline tube is a decent source for hardlines if its one of the steel lines that popped. though if its just one steel line you can pick up sone line and hand bend & slip on replacement fittings and flare the ends. just depends on which direction you want to go.

it was thankfully just a steel like that had blown but i might aswell do all of them if one blew all the others might better safe than sorry.