Brake pads for LJ running 31s?

Ok, no calipers since they aren't leaking.

I think I'll get front BMB pads with Centric Premium rotors.

What is a good brand and type of pad for the rear (assuming my budget won't do the BMB ones)? My rear rotors are smooth, but I'll check runout. If I need rear rotors, what should I get?

I can do either in my sleep. Which would you like?
I'm old enough to know what I'd like is not always possible. I'd like a thin stainless shim that fits over the worn part. I've seen some ricers that have setups like that from the factory. I realize that you might have to clearance the notches in the pads a bit. I suppose if this was feasible it would have already been manufactured.

I have to pass through your area in March on my way from San Diego to Bishop. For convenience I'll probably settle for the weld job, so I might arrange a stop on the way. I'd trust you to understand what is needed more than some random welding shop.
Got parking for a 37' motor home? :cool:

I'm old enough to know what I'd like is not always possible. I'd like a thin stainless shim that fits over the worn part. I've seen some ricers that have setups like that from the factory. I realize that you might have to clearance the notches in the pads a bit. I suppose if this was feasible it would have already been manufactured.
It isn't feasible in production. I made a batch many years ago and we soon figured out that the giant problem is needing a set of the correctly machined ends on the replacement set of pads. That was an issue no one was willing to deal with. The idea isn't even unique to other vehicles. The rear disc brakes on a TJ have the stainless steel abutment clips.
I have to pass through your area in March on my way from San Diego to Bishop. For convenience I'll probably settle for the weld job, so I might arrange a stop on the way. I'd trust you to understand what is needed more than some random welding shop.
Got parking for a 37' motor home? :cool:
The easy thing to do is I can clean up a set, weld them, get them to you and then you give me yours when you replace them. FYI- the welding pretty much ensures it won't happen again since the weld is super hard.

It isn't feasible in production. I made a batch many years ago and we soon figured out that the giant problem is needing a set of the correctly machined ends on the replacement set of pads. That was an issue no one was willing to deal with. The idea isn't even unique to other vehicles. The rear disc brakes on a TJ have the stainless steel abutment clips.

The easy thing to do is I can clean up a set, weld them, get them to you and then you give me yours when you replace them. FYI- the welding pretty much ensures it won't happen again since the weld is super hard.
Hmm, now you have me questioning my memory (a common thing these days). It's been a couple of years since I changed the rear pads and I don't remember the clips. Doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I was doing a lot of other stuff at the same time I changed out the pads. I'll see if I can look through the wheels and check.

I'll consider this option and get back to you closer to moving time. Means I'd have to find a Jeep guy in Bishop, but I'm sure there's one in town. I see a lot of Wranglers cruising the area.
The problem with living in Forest Service campgrounds is that the rangers get testy if they catch you doing anything major to your ride. I thought the guy down here was going to have a stroke when he caught me cutting the front fenders to install the flatties.

Hmm, now you have me questioning my memory (a common thing these days). It's been a couple of years since I changed the rear pads and I don't remember the clips. Doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I was doing a lot of other stuff at the same time I changed out the pads. I'll see if I can look through the wheels and check.

I'll consider this option and get back to you closer to moving time. Means I'd have to find a Jeep guy in Bishop, but I'm sure there's one in town. I see a lot of Wranglers cruising the area.
The problem with living in Forest Service campgrounds is that the rangers get testy if they catch you doing anything major to your ride. I thought the guy down here was going to have a stroke when he caught me cutting the front fenders to install the flatties.
We can certainly do it here if needed. Takes us about an hour to swap both sides barring any issues. There are places to park a MH.