Brake pads other than BMB?

Jramos013

Supporting Member
Hello, I use my tj for 98% DD, it has 33x10.5 tires. The TJ currently has the BMB pads with centric rotors, and I really have no complaint other than having to do the break-in procedure frequently for them to grab better than oem. Aggressive driving is not my thing, I tend to coast and then use light pressure to stop at traffic lights. So Im looking for good oem replacement that doesn't need that kind of procedure. Not sure what material would work best if ceramic or metallic, or maybe a semi kind of pad? The most off-road the TJ sees are flooded roads, dirt roads and mountain roads. Looking for some suggestions, thank you.

Hello, I use my tj for 98% DD, it has 33x10.5 tires. The TJ currently has the BMB pads with centric rotors, and I really have no complaint other than having to do the break-in procedure frequently for them to grab better than oem. Aggressive driving is not my thing, I tend to coast and then use light pressure to stop at traffic lights. So Im looking for good oem replacement that doesn't need that kind of procedure. Not sure what material would work best if ceramic or metallic, or maybe a semi kind of pad? The most off-road the TJ sees are flooded roads, dirt roads and mountain roads. Looking for some suggestions, thank you.

Why would you want to compromise on braking ability and stopping power due to your dislike of a couple aggressive stops per month? BMB pads are the best you can get for our jeeps imo. Any good brake pads, you'll be doing similar anyways. Those couple stops are a small price to pay against the confidence and assurance that you can stop your Jeep when SHTF.

I have the same sized 33x10.5x15 tires in mine and it really doesn't take that much effort to keep the brake pads broken in and working well. Strongly recommend you keep the BMB pads and find a way to keep them broken in. Just couple stops from 40-0 coming off hwy ramps at the light is plenty sufficient.

Why would I be compromising anything? Its not like the BMB are the only pads that can make our Tj's stop. Having to do break-ins every now and then is not what I have in mind when dealing with pads. I don't drive fast or far at all.

Prior running them I ran some AC Delco ones with the same 33" tires and never had any issues. I don't remember what kind they were thought. I think the BMB are just overkill for my DD and driving style.

I tend to coast and then use light pressure to stop at traffic lights. So Im looking for good oem replacement that doesn't need that kind of procedure.
Plain ceramics like the stock pads on the LJ work. I use Bendix from rockauto but most plain ceramic replacements will work fine. I've used Centric C-TEK as well. Blaine has said his pads aren't for everybody but some people are going to go off on how they are perfect for everybody, don't worry too much about it. Pads are cheap, at least the ones I suggested, try them and see if you like it. Bendix are around $22 and the C-TEK are $15?

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, im not dissing the BMB. They are great pads, just not the best for me.

I will look for those, Rockauto has a lot of options and it can get confusing.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, im not dissing the BMB. They are great pads, just not the best for me.

I will look for those, Rockauto has a lot of options and it can get confusing.
Just avoid any with "lifetime warranties". Those are made so hard to last a lifetime that they barely have any grip.

They are the best for you. You're just scared to use your brakes correctly. I hope you're not against aggressive stops when your neighbor's kid runs out in front of your Jeep. :rolleyes:

Everyone has different driving styles. If theres a need to do a sudden/hard stop most pads should make the tj stop, unless you are running 35 with 4" lift or something similar which is not my case. Otherwise, we would constantly be hearing about TJs unable to stop due to pads not being BM.

Again, im not dissing them. They are great pads, but they are not for me.

Im sure having a Dana 44 in the front would be the best diff to have in case I need it, but for DD my Dana 30 works just fine.

Last edited:
With 33" tires, the stock brakes are sorta marginal from a safety perspective on road or off.

I
Even @mrblaine has commented on this forum how the BMB pads aren't for every driver's style; especially those who break with the gears/engine or coast to stops.

Sounds like we drive similarly @Jramos013 (only I'm still on stock 30s) so I'm curious which route you go.

I ordered the Bendix ones, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7477828&cc=1432231&pt=1684&jsn=470

About two years ago I replaced the rear drums and shoes with Bendix, so far no problems, even the auto adjuster is working fine.