Brett's '97 TJ VW 1.9L TDi Swap

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I was trying to find that for you as well, I knew there was a Cummins R2.8 to Ford 6R80 adapter somewhere, I had seen it before. It's a great transmission honestly, you just need to account for the weight, size, and figuring out the transfer case.
I think because of the size, I'd rather just leave my current TJ alone, but I wouldn't mind a mildly tuned diesel with one of these behind it.

Part of me wants to do a diesel swap in my Tacoma and then maybe do a super lightweight TDI build for the YJ.

Have you seen Austin's channel? He's on his second TDI Tacoma swap.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyV_vpt4GskkGUuph7sIzRQ
No I haven't, but I'll watch it. I love watching diesel swaps.

If I do anything to the Tacoma besides take it back to OEM, it will either be D4D or something a bit bigger. I would really like an ISF 3.8 with a solid 6 speed auto behind it, but I am rather seriously thinking about another R2.8 in the Tacoma. Our Tacoma has a 4.0L engine and it just lacks torque and the transmission is inadequate for much of the towing I'd prefer, though it's rated pretty close to what I need, but it really doesn't feel like it can handle the ~6,000 lbs.

I think a good heavy duty 6 speed and 360-400 ft-lbs and maybe some supplemental air bags in the back, maybe I could get it to move some stuff down the road a bit better.