Broken Body Mount Bolt

rhauseriii

The rear passenger side body mount bolt broke off. I was thinking I could cut a hole in the floor pan directly above the body mount so I can cut the bolt and drill it out and replace the hardware, is this possible? What would be the best way to go about fixing this problem?

The rear passenger side body mount bolt broke off. I was thinking I could cut a hole in the floor pan directly above the body mount so I can cut the bolt and drill it out and replace the hardware, is this possible? What would be the best way to go about fixing this problem?
The rearmost bolts are not under the floor pan, they are under the open space in the fenders behind the gas tank filler and the twin space on the other side. The bolts thread into captive nut plates.
The nut plates are in the rear torque box that goes from side to side under the tail gate. If you pull the fender liner you can see them. It is possible to cut an opening in the front face of it and access the stuff that way.

Reactions: Imapepper
The rearmost bolts are not under the floor pan, they are under the open space in the fenders behind the gas tank filler and the twin space on the other side. The bolts thread into captive nut plates.
The nut plates are in the rear torque box that goes from side to side under the tail gate. If you pull the fender liner you can see them. It is possible to cut an opening in the front face of it and access the stuff that way.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try from the wheel well.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a body mount bolt on the driver side, center that I broke. Any Recommendations for removing/ fixing?
Thank you

I miss spoke when I said that the rear body mount is broken. I meant to say that the rear body mount bolt of the three bolts along the passenger side broke. Can I access that bolt's captive nut plate from cutting a hole in the tub?

I miss spoke when I said that the rear body mount is broken. I meant to say that the rear body mount bolt of the three bolts along the passenger side broke. Can I access that bolt's captive nut plate from cutting a hole in the tub?
Yes, but that is an extruded hole in the torque box that is then threaded.

They are not really captive nuts, they are more like a nutsert (extrusion as Blaine stated) and it's located almost directly under the roll bar base pad so that would be a bitch to get at from the top. Not really a lot of options available except trying to drill it out.

They are not really captive nuts, they are more like a nutsert (extrusion as Blaine stated) and it's located almost directly under the roll bar base pad so that would be a bitch to get at from the top. Not really a lot of options available except trying to drill it out.

I was thinking I could drill out the bolt either through the bottom or through a hole in the tub. Then I could buy a new nut and bolt to replace the bolt that broke. Is there another way I could do it, maybe rethreading?

I was thinking I could drill out the bolt either through the bottom or through a hole in the tub. Then I could buy a new nut and bolt to replace the bolt that broke. Is there another way I could do it, maybe rethreading?

Unless the roll bar is removed going thru the top is not an option and there is very little meat to the extracted threads, barely an 1/8" with no room for error. The pic below is the mount I cut out 2 weeks ago and you can see how thin the extraction is.

Body Bolt.JPG