Broken center bezel screw tabs

VadeerHunter

Supporting Member
Has anyone figured out an easy way to replace the tabs that top mounting screws for the center bezel go through? Both of mine have broken off and gluing them doesn't hold.

pics are helpful when trying to generate ideas.
I'll pop the ham rig out and pull the vent panel and take some pics. Its the two screws at the top of the center bezel that you secure after snapping it into the holes. they are on the very top edge parallel to the windshield under the vent panel that runs across the top of the dash.

I'll pop the ham rig out and pull the vent panel and take some pics. Its the two screws at the top of the center bezel that you secure after snapping it into the holes. they are on the very top edge parallel to the windshield under the vent panel that runs across the top of the dash.
i understand and i've seen them suckers a handful of times...................... but my old ass can't visualize it anymore.

maybe a slightly longer tab? use the screw to pull the tab and the tab could clamp the top end. maybe, if there is and lip there you maybe bend the tab to grab it.
i can't visualize it. hard to guess.

@Wildman you got your bezel loose ya. got a thought on this maybe?

I am thinking I will cut an aluminum can and make tabs and then drill and rivet them to the bezel. I posted this just to see if anyone had a fix I could use before I went this way. Why re-invent the wheel as they say!

i understand and i've seen them suckers a handful of times...................... but my old ass can't visualize it anymore.

maybe a slightly longer tab? use the screw to pull the tab and the tab could clamp the top end. maybe, if there is and lip there you maybe bend the tab to grab it.
i can't visualize it. hard to guess.

@Wildman you got your bezel loose ya. got a thought on this maybe?

I'll look at my old stock one when I get out to the garage this morning.

I'd guess a small piece of tin to make new tabs would be the only way to repair a stock piece.

20211204_120621.jpg

20211204_120636.jpg

The dual din center dash piece the tray screws into it.

20211204_121012.jpg

Reactions: someguysjeep
Just buy a good used one they arent hard to find
That is what I was thinking- even new they are reasonable. I try to do dash work in warmer weather too....to reduce the chances of breakage, but sometimes you can’t help it.

I’m also a believer in plastic pry bars- harbor freight sells some pretty cheap.

If your fix works OP let us know.

I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder and made new tabs, since mine were gone.

20201116_204227.jpg

20201116_204239.jpg

20201117_111231.jpg

20201117_111247.jpg

Cut a couple notches or drill holes for the screws and done. I used the same stuff when I did the double switch pod mod under the a/c controls.

I found some scrap aluminum from another project. I'm going to cut it and bend it so I can rivet it to the panel all the way across. Then drill it for the screws.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Primarily because it will take me about 30 minutes to make it so it will never break again versus 50-100 bucks for a used one which will eventually have the same issue. Also, with the weight of the radio on it is possible that it is stressing the tabs. And just because it's a Jeep and it's a hobby not just a vehicle! Ho Ho HO!