Broken front axle / u-joint (How do I wheel in 3-wheel drive?)

JoeSpit

hey gang i was changing out my u joints and on my first side i bashed up the small half axle shaft. I live on Maui so i got to order a new one online.

my question is: should i keep the long shaft on or the short shaft or just get rid of them both n plug the housing hole until the new one arrives?

you know so i can still drive if need be

hey gang i was changing out my u joints and on my first side i bashed up the small half axel shaft. I live on Maui so i got to order a new one online.

my question is: should i keep the long shaft on or the short shaft or just get rid of them both n plug the housing hole until the new one arrives?

You have to keep the stub shaft in, it’s what holds the hub assembly together. Pull the long shaft and stuff a rag in there, I wouldn’t drive on it a lot, or at the very least carry around gear lube

You have to keep the stub shaft in, it’s what holds the hub assembly together. Pull the long shaft and stuff a rag in there, I wouldn’t drive on it a lot, or at the very least carry around gear lube

I've obviously never tried this, but I've heard it before and am trying to figure out why/how. From my recollection, the stub shaft splines into the bearing, and then the nut goes on to locate the axle laterally. But the bearing assembly is bolted to the knuckle with the three 12pt 13mm bolts, what role does the axle shaft play in holding the bearing assembly together?

I've obviously never tried this, but I've heard it before and am trying to figure out why/how. From my recollection, the stub shaft splines into the bearing, and then the nut goes on to locate the axle laterally. But the bearing assembly is bolted to the knuckle with the three 12pt 13mm bolts, what role does the axle shaft play in holding the bearing assembly together?
The stub shaft and axle nut hold the bearing together. Without it the bearing will fail, and you will lose a wheel.

Reactions: Superjay5
hey gang i was changing out my u joints and on my first side i bashed up the small half axle shaft. I live on Maui so i got to order a new one online.

My advise, pull both shafts and shove a zip lock baggie stuffed with paper towels in the tube all the way against the seal. Reinstall both stub shafts and torque the axle nut.

I only removed one shaft last time and it was spinning my spider gear so fast it sounded like a turbine.

i started doing things before anyone even answered... jumpin the gun again go figure.. i pulled both and dammed the housing

so i hope it just sitting wont do something to mess the bearing.

until then fatboy e-bike awayyy