Brought to you by 2020

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I wanted to go wheeling yesterday for the first time in a while but couldn’t find any takers so I stayed home & decided to do yard work instead, a fateful decision it would turn out to be.

So what are the odds that while weed whacking a random metal bracket would fall off of the whacker, land directly into the path of the whirling dervish that is the spinning cord, & be flung at breakneck speed into the storm door glass shattering it into what looked like a billion individual chunks of glass?

In 2020, 100% :ROFLMAO:

So this is the offending part, still not even sure what it is, haven't inspected the weed whacker yet but it still ran well enough to finish up

IMG_6106.jpg

totally intact, just a puff of wind & it's out

IMG_6091.jpg
IMG_6092.jpg

it held together long enough to get a drop cloth underneath, then I touched it & it poured out of there like sand through an hourglass

62102651325__6AD35A16-749B-4E9E-9BE1-D6B5DC17D3D1.jpg
62102639060__B38C4193-A3BB-4BE2-9172-7519BB4BC0CB.jpg

long weekend, no plans, sunny gorgeous day, why not go to Home Depot & blow $400 on a new door, handle & some exterior trim paint

IMG_6099.jpg

80x36 door, never, ever doubt the capacity of the Sub

IMG_6101.jpg

I've been blowing this off for years, much needed paint

IMG_6103.jpg
IMG_6104.jpg

sanded, prepped & got the first coat on yesterday

IMG_6109.jpg

Second coat on today, a few hours later installed the new door

IMG_6112.jpg
IMG_6114.jpg
IMG_6115.jpg

you know what time it is

IMG_6117.jpg

shells on floor, no wife = no problem :D

IMG_6118.jpg

total elapsed time from the moment the missile took out the old door to realizing what had happened, removing the old door, cleaning up the mess, prepping for paint, travel to Home Depot, purchase of new door, two coats of paint, installation of new door, beer & nut mess = 23 hours

Blessing in disguise?

I think so, I had all the windows & doors replaced about 20 years ago so this thing certainly didn’t owe me anything. That said it was a cheapish storm door, the glass was single-pane & built in so there was no screen option with it, maybe around 10 years ago I opened it one day & the wind grabbed ahold of it like a parachute & pulled the stop right out of the trim so that’s been all fucked up for years, & the handle was becoming a bit of a pain in the ass too so it wasn’t just the paint that needed attention.

The replacement I picked up is an Anderson 4000, at $314 it wasn’t the cheapest piece of shit at Home Depot but isn’t anywhere near the top of the line either but the glass is double paned & it is removable and came with a screen so that’s a big improvement. The handle hardware was extra at $55 & is far better than what I had, has a keyed dead bolt, & there are two stops top/bottom.

So I repaired the broken trim from the wind incident, puttied, sanded & got it all painted so it was really a pretty decent upgrade all around.

Edit: looks like that bracket held the muffler on, it's now rattling around inside the plastic outer casing. That's another old hunk of crap that needs to be replaced, at least 10 years old at this point, the self-feeding trimmer thing hasn't worked for a long time, I have to manually take it apart to pull more line out 🧐, prolly should've picked up a new one while I was at Home Depot, who knows what'll fall off of it next.

Last edited: