Brown Dog MML issues

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
Installed my brown dog 1"mml, ultra flex rubber, and get a lot of vibration at idle. I loosened the through bolts so there is a gap, can turn bolts by hqnd (mine didn't have washers) and still shaky mirrors. Drivers side dropped in no problem at all. Passenger side took lots of prying and pulling. Used a rachet strap from the a/c spot to my front bumper d ring to get the holes to line up. Looks like I'm off centered judging by the bushings. Any help would be great.

IMG_20190329_110511898.jpg

IMG_20190329_110502766.jpg

IMG_20190329_142405870.jpg

IMG_20190329_142347662.jpg

IMG_20190329_142335571.jpg

IMG_20190329_110453468.jpg

IMG_20190329_110436629.jpg

IMG_20190329_142436676.jpg

Your passenger side bracket from the mount to the engine looks bent, the ear toward the filter side maybe? If it is and is putting the Browndog mount in a bind, that seems it would transmit extra vibrations on top of what those mounts already transmit.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
Your passenger side bracket from the mount to the engine looks bent, the ear toward the filter side maybe? If it is and is putting the Browndog mount in a bind, that seems it would transmit extra vibrations on top of what those mounts already transmit.
What would cause that to bend? Not saying it couldn't happen but seems extreme.

The mount looks like it's in a bind by how the bushing get pulled.

Has the Jeep ever been in a wreck? That could cause it but other than that I don't know what could either, the bracket is a pretty stout pieced of cast metal.

All in all the design of the Browndog mounts, no matter how soft the rubber is will transmit more vibrations than the factory mounts will simply because they do not have that big squishy chunk of energy absorbing rubber like the factory's do.

Has the Jeep ever been in a wreck? That could cause it but other than that I don't know what could either, the bracket is a pretty stout pieced of cast metal.

All in all the design of the Browndog mounts, no matter how soft the rubber is will transmit more vibrations than the factory mounts will simply because they do not have that big squishy chunk of energy absorbing rubber like the factory's do.
The only accident was with some shrubs that broke my turn signal cover. Haha

The vibrations are extreme. I was expecting some vibs but nothing like this. Glove box rattles almost open, rear view mirror shakes.

Rubber was certainly the correct choice for the motor mounts. Did you also happen to install a polyurethane transmission mount? Mixing engine and transmission mount types can cause vibrations.

I installed the rubber Brown Dog motor mounts 3 weeks ago on my 05, 6 speed manual Sport. It now has 109k miles
20190317_215418.jpg

Last week I was checking the MM bolts, and they had loosened just a bit.
I retorqued, the little vibes apparently crept back in,.. and the retorque took care of it.
Apparently the new Brown Dog MMs will settle in somewhat, maybe.
Gonna put recheck MM torque on my PM list 🤗

I installed the rubber Brown Dog motor mounts 3 weeks ago on my 05, 6 speed manual Sport. It now has 109k miles
View attachment 86158
Last week I was checking the MM bolts, and they had loosened just a bit.
I retorqued, the little vibes apparently crept back in,.. and the retorque took care of it.
Apparently the new Brown Dog MMs will settle in somewhat, maybe.
Gonna put recheck MM torque on my PM list 🤗
Your pic of the mount looks normal My passenger one isn't sitting right for some odd reason, and is a huge pain to install.

Well, don't think the shrubs would bend a mount bracket on the engine for sure, it could have been that way from the factory and the big squishy rubber on the factory mount covered it up. In the pictures, one of the factory mounts has cracked rubber, did that one come off the passenger side by chance?

The driver side gave me trouble. Here is my passenger side,
20190403_134316.jpg

if yours isn't sitting right it shouldn't be hard to spot. There's lots of clearance around the pass mount.
Do you have one of those mirror tools you can contort and look behind stuff , that might be handy

The driver side gave me trouble. Here is my passenger side,
View attachment 86170
if yours isn't sitting right it shouldn't be hard to spot. There's lots of clearance around the pass mount.
Do you have one of those mirror tools you can contort and look behind stuff , that might be handy

From the top down of my passenger mount it looks "tweaked"

Have you tried contacting brown dog?

I had a different issue, contacted them, they were super helpful and very knowledgeable.

With those pics, i bet they could assist.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Was going to say that you may need to loosen the transmission mount and let it re-settle now that the engine is lifted to relieve any new strain you may have put on it by changing the height of the engine, but it sounds like you may have that covered already. Like others have said, check to be sure some other part of the engine hasn't started touching the frame or tub of the Jeep now that the engine has moved. Go over the exhaust front to rear as well to be sure it isn't binding or touching someplace as well. Good luck.

Reactions: KCsTJ