Budget friendly front steering replacement

Kvarilek

TJ Enthusiast
I've decided to finally start chipping away at replacing my steering parts and wanted to ask the experts what you recommend for a budget friendly setup? My 06 is all stock and about the only thing I may do in the future is a small body lift. I'm trying to do this without breaking the bank so what suggestions do you have? I'm thinking tie rods, drag link, steering stabilizer and then control arms.

Moog ZJ tie rod upgrade is by far the best bang for the buck upgrades. A Monroe SS will finish out the budget friendly refresh.

Reactions: Kvarilek
I had marginal results with Moog tie rod ends on my 3rd gen 4Runner.
Glad to hear they get better reviews for the TJ family considering they’re an affordable aftermarket part.

ZJ upgrade for sure. Easy and cheap! Any stabiliser will do. A cheap Monroe or what ever is on sale. I'd replace all the steering. The ZJ uses the same drag link set up, but getting all new parts makes it so much easier to get the alignment spot on. And that way you can keep any rust from forming.
Use a good antiseize on the threads and then coat the whole drag link and tie rod assy's with Fluid Film or cosmoline to keep everything from crusting up.

Another vote for the Moog ZJ upgrade. My only issue was that the Moog parts came in a gray primer and had to be painted. Not a big deal to prep and spray paint, but it did take a bit of extra, unplanned time to complete.

Last edited:
Last edited: