Budget friendly wheeling (finally got me a tow rig)

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve needed a tow rig for awhile as I’ve not participated in many distance trips with my friends since acquiring the TJ last spring due to lacking in the tow rig department.

Having a special needs kiddo, it’s hard to spend money on “toys” when important life things come up often and as you known, Jeeps and cheap don’t go together well. Plus, I don’t like spending money on vehicles. My JKUR was a splurge and sold it as I don’t like debt.

However, add popped up local for a 96 GMC 3500 on Facebook. Long story short, brought it home Sunday for a low price of $900. Rust free, 454 crew cab 2wd. All it needs is a dually fender, hydroboost rebuild and a fuel pump.

Now maybe I can find the time and haul the Jeep out to some different parks in KY, TN and northern IN.

Sorry to share a random happy kinda bragging post. Wheel on my friends!

6E0EEFB4-E33C-4B3D-95FE-B33DD9E6A11E.png

B6102C96-FC88-4C25-BF4F-93404F05D557.png

Nice rig. Those big blocks were a bit anemic compared to toady's engines, but the trucks themselves were great platforms. I had a 94 3500 4x4 with a NV4500 and the 454. Drove like a dream but it was a weak puller. Sold it with 40K on the clock. I should have kept it and put a modern crate engine in it. I think the heads were too restricted to move the volumes it needed to come alive.

Looks clean. If you have the time to work on it, that's a great way to go to save some money and also know that it's going to run the way you want it to.

Nice rig. Those big blocks were a bit anemic compared to toady's engines, but the trucks themselves were great platforms. I had a 94 3500 4x4 with a NV4500 and the 454. Drove like a dream but it was a weak puller. Sold it with 40K on the clock. I should have kept it and put a modern crate engine in it. I think the heads were too restricted to move the volumes it needed to come alive.

yeah I’ve read that. Fortunately this is a 96, and the first year of the vortec 454 so that extra 60 HP should help things out.

The best kind of vehicle is one you don't go into debt over. That being said, this sounds like a great purchase to me!

Nice find! After 6 months or so of owning the TJ I found a carhauler to pull it with my 1500. Doesn't pull as well as a 25 or 3500, but it gets there. We wanted to go on wheeling trips that were farther than 30 mins away, and driving any distance in a TJ with the fam loaded up isn't really pleasant.

Reactions: T_Hase89
Nice find! After 6 months or so of owning the TJ I found a carhauler to pull it with my 1500. Doesn't pull as well as a 25 or 3500, but it gets there. We wanted to go on wheeling trips that were farther than 30 mins away, and driving any distance in a TJ with the fam loaded up isn't really pleasant.
That’s my long term plan as well. Me, the GF, and two kids all the way to Colorado/Moab and back is just unnecessary suffering!

that big ass dually should tug a jeep no problem, even if it was down 2 cylinders.

That’s my long term plan as well. Me, the GF, and two kids all the way to Colorado/Moab and back is just unnecessary suffering!

for sure that's a long haul. i have the same idea ( GF and 2 dogs) but i don't want to try and drive what i'm building across country, and must ensure a safe way to get it all home if i break it.

even for wkends in state, you gotta be able to get it home if you break it.

i broke down and picked up a truck and have been looking for a nice trailer, but have not pulled the trigger yet and passed on a few nice 1's. (procrastinating and spending my $ on other stuff i need 1st).
and i'm about 1/2" away from not passing E check and being able to plate her anymore.

even for wkends in state, you gotta be able to get it home if you break it

That is also great point. The majority of our trips are here locally and we only go for the day, but I still prefer to trailer for that reason as well. I've gotten a system down where I can have the TJ loaded & strapped in about 30 mins.

The logistics of stranding yourself with the family when your TJ breaks and you have to make it home a couple of hours is not something I want to deal with. If something lets go we can either limp it back to the trailer, if that isn't possible we can just bail and I can deal with it on my own later after the fam is home safe & sound. Plus a tow rig also gives you the advantage of being able to carry more tools & parts if you need them.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Got the old girl fired up today and a new fender today. Change fluids and I’ll be tuggin the TJ everywhere 😁

I’ve not owned a V8 since 2012 and man that 454 sounds mean 😍

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj