Buffing out the paint?

Phungki

TJ Enthusiast
anyone have any experience buffing out minor scratches and/or faded paint? My jeep came from Florida. Great that it never saw salt in the winters....zero rust anywhere. But the Florida sun has faded the paint some on the hood.
I'm interested in know what product you used and how you applied it. Along with any "do's and don'ts".

Don't herclune the raised portion of the hood to cover paint scratches and fading then try to remove it.
Do use a hood louver to cover that crap up if you did do that. Yes I did. Regret it. (I only did it as I am repainting my jeep anyway) Wouldn't do it again.

I'm going to order a PSC hood louver. Can't wait.

I have a friend that tried using a scotchebrite pad to buff his paint on his truck. I bet you can guess how that turned out. Told him not to. Don't do that. I don't think you'll get very far just trying to buff it. Just repaint it or hood louver if it really bothers you.

My advise isn't very helpful. My apologies.

Last edited:
Also I see you live in Michigan please put like fluid film or cosmoline all over underneath your Jeep since you got a rust free one. Or better yet don't drive in winter if you can.

The only way to REALLY clean the paint is to get a high speed buffer, Some GOOD compounds (3M, Wizards, Boat Candy, Etc) and go at it. Its a process, it CANNOT be rushed. You start with a cutting compound and a wool pad, Graduate to a Polishing compound with a Blended pad and finish with a finishing glaze and foam. Finally you hand wax. Requires about 150 bucks in stuff, not including the buffer. It will make a HUGE difference though.

Reactions: Phungki and Tj04
anyone have any experience buffing out minor scratches and/or faded paint? My jeep came from Florida. Great that it never saw salt in the winters....zero rust anywhere. But the Florida sun has faded the paint some on the hood.
I'm interested in know what product you used and how you applied it. Along with any "do's and don'ts".
IMO it is essential that you have your paint depth measured all over different panels on your vehicle before cutting (compound/polish) your vehicle's paint.

Being armed with the info of paint depth measurment on your body panels will allow you to determine how aggressive you can be in trying to remove those light or deep scratches.

Some details shop in your local area should be able to meausre your paint and give you a print out and it shouldnt be that much as far as cost to to get it measured.

Also I see you live in Michigan please put like fluid film or cosmoline all over underneath your Jeep since you got a rust free one. Or better yet don't drive in winter if you can.
yeah it stays in the garage all winter, never sees the snow. I have a 4 x 4 truck for when things get hairy around here. we actually keep the doors and top off and only bring it out those dry sunny days. That was the main reason for buying it.

I have the Griots polisher as well. Great unit. With the right combination of pads and compounds, you can get good results. Start off with a clean slate with a wash and clay bar treatment before you hit it with anything.

Reactions: Blank