Build advice for 03 Khaki TJ Rubicon

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Everyone. The post got a bit longer than I'd anticipated. There are some questions at the end.

To give you a bit of background on how I got here, I work overseas regularly, including a 2 year stint in Thailand from 2015-2017. While I was there, I rode scooters, as one does in Asia. Upon returning home to Michigan, I wanted to buy a Harley. Same concept as the scooter, but something more fit for American roads. My wife was against the idea as we had a baby boy while we were in Thailand, and suggested a Wrangler instead. She believed it was a much more family friendly option. I'd had an XJ in college as it was a bit more attainable than a Wrangler at the time, but a Wrangler was what I'd always wanted. So the search was on. For about 6 months or a year, I looked on and off for a Wrangler. Had to be a TJ or YJ with the 4.0L and a manual. Those were really my only requirements.

So this brings me to my purchase. In April of last year we had baby number 2. Two weeks after that, I found my Khaki TJR. My wife refers to this as my midlife crisis. This is more or less what it looked like when I bought it. It does have both tops and full doors, although I pulled the top and doors off as soon as I got it and didn't put them back on until October.

Jeep Driveway Pic with Jon's Mustang.JPG

My plan was to drive it around for the summer to ensure it was a good vehicle before I dumped a bunch of money into modifying it. Well I did, and I'm in love. I've mostly done maintenance items so far, but with a few very other very minor things (belt, brakes, getting all lights working properly, adding spare tire, sunshade, etc.) I wanted to do most of the mods over the winter so it was ready for summer 2020, but I got the opportunity to bring my family to Dubai for the winter on another extended business trip, so I've been here since January. It was a very nice experience before the Corona lockdown, but over the last few weeks, the only thing I can think about is how I wish I was stuck in my home in Michigan working on the Jeep!

As far as use, I've used it to go to some off-road spots I know of, but no official parks as of yet. Going forward, I'd like to be able to take it Silver Lake Sand Dunes on the west side of the state as well as some of the other parks in Michigan and Indiana. These would be camping / 4 weeling trips with my son and a friend of mine. I'd be driving to and from these places so road manners are quite important in addition to off-road capability. Really not going for the 35" rock crawler. Just a bit of increased capability.

If all goes well, I'm going to be returning to Michigan in two weeks so I want to order some parts to get started when I get back. Here's what I'm thinking about doing:

Tire Size — I'm currently running the factory tire size. I think it's 245/75 R 16, but I can't remember exactly not being with the car. Goodyear Kevlar MTR. I'd like to go up to 32" or 33" without having to do too many special things. I'm looking at KO2s. The two sizes I was considering are 265/ 75R16 and 285/75R16. Both are load range E, but I'd really like to keep the Moabs so it seems that's what I'm stuck with.

Lift — I'm looking at the OME 2" kit. I'm pretty set on the OME brand as I've had good experiences with ARB in the past and I like the idea of a fairly complete kit rather than piecing together different shocks and springs. I don't plan on aftermarket bumpers at the moment, but I will add a winch. So I'm thinking about getting the heavy version to get a bit of extra clearance.

Winch — I'm thinking of adding a winch plate and getting one of the Smittybuilt XRC gen 2 winches. This seems a good budget option since I'll likely be using it for recovery within a park (and thus around other vehicles if there is a problem) rather than miles from other cars as it seems people often are out west.

On my questions:

Tire size — I'd really like to go with the 285 if possible. I do have the Metalcloak fenders (I know they don't offer much additional clearance, but I seem to recall reading a thread that said the gains are more in the 32-33" tire range than they are in the 35-37" tire range). Can this tire size be done with the OME lift? Do you think an inch or so wheel spacers would help / be required?

I don't intend to regear. Would this affect which tire size I should go with? Or do you think either or both tire sizes I'm considering would be fine with the factory 4.10s? Would i struggle on the highway with either? That is a big concern of mine given how far I'll need to travel to get to some of these offroad parks.

On the lift — what else am I missing, or would I be OK to run this with the OME kit alone? I'm thinking specifically of the control arms as it seems these lifts often pull the wheelbase shorter. Will there be a noticeable difference with his kit, and would adjustable control arms be a must have or a nice to have? I'm also a bit unclear about SYE and if they would be required either for this lift height and / or with the Rubicon in general.

Is there anything else I'm missing or I've forgotten about? Really looking forward to everyone's feedback - any input is welcome. I'll update with what I go with and post some more photos when I get home.

Thanks in advance!

You can run a 285/75r16 with a 2" OME kit and metalcloak fenders, you'll just want to add Bumpstop in the rear. You'll need to adjust your steering stops if you don't want to run spacers. That's the way I had mine set up for awhile.

The OME kit can use the stock control arms. You'd want to add an adjustable front track bar

No SYE kit needed with a Rubicon

That's the tire size I run with stock 4:10 gears and it does fine for the most part, 5th gear doesn't have a lot of power but can maintain cruising on flat highway. My farthest road trip has been 6 hrs through TN mountains.

While you can “get by” without a regear, a regear is a corrective step to bringing back the original power that the Jeep had.
It’s money well spent. I highly advocate for it if you are going to a 33 inch tire.

Reactions: AndyG
Hi Everyone. The post got a bit longer than I'd anticipated. There are some questions at the end.

To give you a bit of background on how I got here, I work overseas regularly, including a 2 year stint in Thailand from 2015-2017. While I was there, I rode scooters, as one does in Asia. Upon returning home to Michigan, I wanted to buy a Harley. Same concept as the scooter, but something more fit for American roads. My wife was against the idea as we had a baby boy while we were in Thailand, and suggested a Wrangler instead. She believed it was a much more family friendly option. I'd had an XJ in college as it was a bit more attainable than a Wrangler at the time, but a Wrangler was what I'd always wanted. So the search was on. For about 6 months or a year, I looked on and off for a Wrangler. Had to be a TJ or YJ with the 4.0L and a manual. Those were really my only requirements.

So this brings me to my purchase. In April of last year we had baby number 2. Two weeks after that, I found my Khaki TJR. My wife refers to this as my midlife crisis. This is more or less what it looked like when I bought it. It does have both tops and full doors, although I pulled the top and doors off as soon as I got it and didn't put them back on until October.

View attachment 152149

My plan was to drive it around for the summer to ensure it was a good vehicle before I dumped a bunch of money into modifying it. Well I did, and I'm in love. I've mostly done maintenance items so far, but with a few very other very minor things (belt, brakes, getting all lights working properly, adding spare tire, sunshade, etc.) I wanted to do most of the mods over the winter so it was ready for summer 2020, but I got the opportunity to bring my family to Dubai for the winter on another extended business trip, so I've been here since January. It was a very nice experience before the Corona lockdown, but over the last few weeks, the only thing I can think about is how I wish I was stuck in my home in Michigan working on the Jeep!

As far as use, I've used it to go to some off-road spots I know of, but no official parks as of yet. Going forward, I'd like to be able to take it Silver Lake Sand Dunes on the west side of the state as well as some of the other parks in Michigan and Indiana. These would be camping / 4 weeling trips with my son and a friend of mine. I'd be driving to and from these places so road manners are quite important in addition to off-road capability. Really not going for the 35" rock crawler. Just a bit of increased capability.

If all goes well, I'm going to be returning to Michigan in two weeks so I want to order some parts to get started when I get back. Here's what I'm thinking about doing:

Tire Size — I'm currently running the factory tire size. I think it's 245/75 R 16, but I can't remember exactly not being with the car. Goodyear Kevlar MTR. I'd like to go up to 32" or 33" without having to do too many special things. I'm looking at KO2s. The two sizes I was considering are 265/ 75R16 and 285/75R16. Both are load range E, but I'd really like to keep the Moabs so it seems that's what I'm stuck with.

Lift — I'm looking at the OME 2" kit. I'm pretty set on the OME brand as I've had good experiences with ARB in the past and I like the idea of a fairly complete kit rather than piecing together different shocks and springs. I don't plan on aftermarket bumpers at the moment, but I will add a winch. So I'm thinking about getting the heavy version to get a bit of extra clearance.

Winch — I'm thinking of adding a winch plate and getting one of the Smittybuilt XRC gen 2 winches. This seems a good budget option since I'll likely be using it for recovery within a park (and thus around other vehicles if there is a problem) rather than miles from other cars as it seems people often are out west.

On my questions:

Tire size — I'd really like to go with the 285 if possible. I do have the Metalcloak fenders (I know they don't offer much additional clearance, but I seem to recall reading a thread that said the gains are more in the 32-33" tire range than they are in the 35-37" tire range). Can this tire size be done with the OME lift? Do you think an inch or so wheel spacers would help / be required?

I don't intend to regear. Would this affect which tire size I should go with? Or do you think either or both tire sizes I'm considering would be fine with the factory 4.10s? Would i struggle on the highway with either? That is a big concern of mine given how far I'll need to travel to get to some of these offroad parks.

On the lift — what else am I missing, or would I be OK to run this with the OME kit alone? I'm thinking specifically of the control arms as it seems these lifts often pull the wheelbase shorter. Will there be a noticeable difference with his kit, and would adjustable control arms be a must have or a nice to have? I'm also a bit unclear about SYE and if they would be required either for this lift height and / or with the Rubicon in general.

Is there anything else I'm missing or I've forgotten about? Really looking forward to everyone's feedback - any input is welcome. I'll update with what I go with and post some more photos when I get home.

Thanks in advance!
Factory fenders and flares. But, 2 inches of lift and 285’s on this Jeep.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2004-tj-rubicon-30-300-miles-18500.31637/
9B5237D9-9641-43AD-A278-68B7CC614030.jpeg

I'd think about the wee folk of your small clan. Wranglers are not the easiest back seat to get in and out of. The front seats are heavy and the curb height is tall. The OME lifts are great. Pair a 2 1/2" OME spring with Rancho 5000x shocks (stock height. They run tall) and a set of 265/75R16 tires. You want load "C". There is a noticeable improvement over "E" tires. This will keep your engine in a good RPM range so no regear from 4.10 is necessary. I would NOT want to be in the back seat on a load E tire. This keeps the ride about as stock as possible, while giving a Rubicon enough advantage to go almost anywhere on the planet. Everything stock still works well. No big brake kit, no new gearing, no hard wear on steering/suspension, but I would recommend upgrade to a ZJ steering setup. When needed. And still uses stock parts (from a ZJ) so it is easy and cheap. And parts are everywhere.

Hope this helps.👍 Welcome home!🙋‍♂️

I have the OME lift on my TJ and wound up adding adjustable control arms 6 months after installing the lift when the bushings on the stock arms were shot.

Ride quality has improved greatly, especially on the highway (typically 1-4 hours to get to where we ride orhunt). I realize some of that may simply be due to having new bushings, but with my TJ getting closer to 3 inches of lift, I believe bringing the axles back to their proper spacing definitely played a part.

I went with the Metalcloak duoflex arms and have been really happy with the result.

The rear bumpstops are so the rear TB relocation bracket that you will be installing doesn't hit the tub and damage the fuel pump wiring harness, mostly.

Can you recommend a set of load range c in this size? I've looked without much luck.
You won't find any good C rated tires in 16" sizes.

Do the smart thing and ditch the Moab wheels, go with a 15" wheel, and you'll have tons and tons of C rated tires.

16" wheels are terrible for tire selection.

You won't find any good C rated tires in 16" sizes.

Do the smart thing and ditch the Moab wheels, go with a 15" wheel, and you'll have tons and tons of C rated tires.

16" wheels are terrible for tire selection.
And to dive into that a little deeper, Mamba wheels produces a Moab clone that is close to the same dimensions and is offered in a 15 inch, 16 inch, and a 17 inch. You can get a silver finish or a black finish.
https://mambawheels.com/current-wheels/mr1x-silver/

Can you recommend a set of load range c in this size? I've looked without much luck.
You don’t need load range C. It’s wranglertjforum BS! Run good shocks, and proper tire pressure for the weight of the TJ. Most of the load range C bandwagon group have no real comparison.

If you’re keen on changing wheels and tires, pick a wheel you like then a tire. Not the other way around.

Reactions: Tldelaney
You don’t need load range C. It’s wranglertjforum BS
All talk, anything to back that claim up?

Is it untrue that a load range C tire has more sidewall flex than a load range D or load range E tire? Which equates to a softer ride...

Why did Jeep engineers use a load range B tire on the factory TJ’s?

When are C/D/E rated tires needed/warrented? I am confident members here would love to learn this stuff versus just repeating things.

Reactions: mattcogdell
Here's what I went through using OME springs. I started off with 33x12.5x15 C-Load KO2's on Procomp 7069 with the 3.75" backspace, adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar. I used OME 2933 and 2949. I have a steel front bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch with steel cable. I also added a tummy tuck with steel skid plate (50 lbs) and dual battery system (add 50 lbs). When it was all said and done, the springs were not strong enough to handle the load. Driving felt squishy and as if it was swimming a bit on the road. I wanted a 2-inch lift, but switched to OME's 4-inch heavy rate springs (forgot the model number). That heavier rate got my handling back and it drives very comfortably now.

All talk, anything to back that claim up?

Is it untrue that a load range C tire has more sidewall flex than a load range D or load range E tire? Which equates to a softer ride...

Why did Jeep engineers use a load range B tire on the factory TJ’s?

When are C/D/E rated tires needed/warrented? I am confident members here would love to learn this stuff versus just repeating things.

Spend over $3k on wheels and tires to test this just as I did. Same day, same conditions, same pressure and we will talk. Until then hop on the bandwagon.

1A43CEC6-1149-4B0A-BEEA-C8DB2B344A4F.png

You don’t need load range C. It’s wranglertjforum BS! Run good shocks, and proper tire pressure for the weight of the TJ. Most of the load range C bandwagon group have no real comparison.

If you’re keen on changing wheels and tires, pick a wheel you like then a tire. Not the other way around.

I disagree. I would pick the right tire first and then build out from there - whether C, D, or E load. In my experience, BFG's C-load 33x12.5x15 KO2 is a much different and more rigid feel from something like Cooper AT3 C-load of the same size. I started off with Goodyear Wrangler E-load stock 31x10.5x16, tried out 33x12.5x15 Cooper AT3's, and then settled on the KO2. All rode completely differently.

You should know the ballpark of what your rig will weigh after all the additions of steel skid plates, bumpers, and other accessories and then figure out what tires, wheels, and springs will support the weight.

I disagree. I would pick the right tire first and then build out from there - whether C, D, or E load. In my experience, BFG's C-load 33x12.5x15 KO2 is a much different and more rigid feel from something like Cooper AT3 C-load of the same size. I started off with Goodyear Wrangler E-load stock 31x10.5x16, tried out 33x12.5x15 Cooper AT3's, and then settled on the KO2. All rode completely differently.

You should know the ballpark of what your rig will weigh after all the additions of steel skid plates, bumpers, and other accessories and then figure out what tires, wheels, and springs will support the weight.
Sure if you want an all terrain and a 15” wheel. Not many if any mud terrains in load range C, in a 17” wheel and 35s or 37s.

Sure if you want an all terrain and a 15” wheel. Not many if any mud terrains in load range C, in a 17” wheel and 35s or 37s.

Yes I want an AT and 15" wheel. Not everyone needs 35's or 37's. Put some thought into your purpose. My rig is built for overland and rides great.

Reactions: mattcogdell