Build (and un-build) thread—Gump

I've had a smittybilt air compressor for 3 years to air back up after airing down for a trail. Never had any problems with the compressor but the bag it came with to carry it and a it's paraphernalia was trash.

A couple years ago my employer, which at the time belonged to the same parent company as compressor and tool maker Ingersoll Rand, bought like 100 IR impact guns for the factory and didn't use the cases, so they were offered to employees to take home.

This weekend I finally put that case to use.

IMG_20200621_134051_888.jpg

IMG_20200620_165728~2.jpg

Right now it's just a carrying case, but I've also given some consideration to actually mounting the compressor inside. I'll use it like this a bit and see.

Reactions: ranger101
I wasn't liking how much movement was happening in the tailgate with just a 32" spare, so I put on the MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit. Much better. In addition to the cost of the kit, it also cost a lot of torch gas, 3 or 4 broken driver bits, and some quality time with my drill. I think 3 of the 8 came out without drilling, and then only with a lot of heat.

View attachment 134554

Also painted my hard top black.

View attachment 134555

View attachment 134556
What did you use to paint your hard top and how do you like the finish?? Jeep looks like its coming along great!!

MCE fenders are on!

I have to say, this is the most cutting I've done on a vehicle's body and I had to make myself just get over it.

View attachment 141162

Front's are on, I'll probably tackle the rears tonight if it's not too late after I get all the new turn signals installed. My local Lowe's doesn't carry a 3 1/8 hole saw for the JK turn signal housings so I had to order it, and luckily enough it's a 1-day item from Amazon so I'll have it today.

View attachment 141163

Oh, and I got a new bumper. It's a Warn Rock crawler stubby. I didn't put it on a scale but it feels a good 30 pounds lighter than the Body Armor bumper that I took off and sold on craigslist. I like the minimalist bumpers without all the tubes and hoops, and I like the increased frontal exposure of the tires, the lower winch mounting position, and the only accessory I had to add was a skidplate for the power steering box. I will need to remember that if I ever get an Anti-rock, I'll need to swap out one of the PS skid bolts with a shorter one, because it goes into the tube crossmember that the AR uses and I'm pretty sure it's long enough to make contact.

I'm starting to tire of my lighting setup. With the new fenders and bumper, I'm moving toward a cleaner aesthetic that just doesn't really work with the windshield mounted light bar and the JW speaker ripoff headlights. I'm fine with the performance of the headlights, and the light bar works great in perfectly dry, but not dusty conditions. If there's anything floating in the air though, it glares off the dust or water over the hood and hurts visibility more than it helps. For the light bar I'm thinking of something around 12" mounted on a fairlead mount. But not sure what to do with the headlights. I wish heated trucklites weren't so dang expensive. I want the performance of LED but the heat of a halogen is nice in snow and ice.
Are these the 6" or 4.5" MCE fenders in the front? I just ordered the 4.5" but they are backordered.

Took almost 8 weeks but my doors came in from JCR. Gonna paint them tonight and let it all cure while I'm on vacation until next Wednesday. I went to a local auto paint supply and got matching basecoat to my Jeep's color put in rattle cans, along with the primer and a 2-part clear.

IMG_20200721_091859.jpg

I'm also ditching the light bar above the windshield and pulled the trigger on some spot pattern LED's from KC to mount on my windshield hinges.

1595435432081.png

They're the 6" slimlite LEDs which are about $150 less than the gravity Pro 6, and though I think the gravity looks better than the multi-LED array of the slimlites, the slimlite has more raw lumens and more lux and based on KC's comparison video I think I prefer the slimlites beam pattern.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottCO and DuncLJ
Took almost 8 weeks but my doors came in from JCR. Gonna paint them tonight and let it all cure while I'm on vacation until next Wednesday. I went to a local auto paint supply and got matching basecoat to my Jeep's color put in rattle cans, along with the primer and a 2-part clear.

View attachment 178741

Did yours come with all the hardware? Mine was missing the button bolts and nuts for the hinges.

Did yours come with all the hardware? Mine was missing the button bolts and nuts for the hinges.

Yes, it appears to be all here. Got a ziploc full of buttonheads and nuts with a JCR business card telling me where to go to get install instructions...separate from the sealed packet of hardware for the latches.

Reactions: Tldelaney
Mine were missing the lower hinges and the brackets for the uppers. Had to call JCR, they sent them right out.
I love the doors, they are really nice.

Good luck on the install!

Reactions: Tldelaney
Mine were missing the lower hinges and the brackets for the uppers. Had to call JCR, they sent them right out.
I love the doors, they are really nice.

Good luck on the install!

dammit. Missing the brackets for the uppers. At least it's something that isn't holding up my installation.

dammit. Missing the brackets for the uppers. At least it's something that isn't holding up my installation.
I didn't even realize I was missing them either. I sent a picture to JCR of everything I got to show them that I was missing 2 hinges.
They are the ones that caught the missing uppers brackets.

You're right though. That won't stop you at all from installing them. 🍻

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
half doors are installed!

I went to a local auto paint supply place and they set me up with basecoat for my color code, as well as self-etch primer, build primer, and a 2K clearcoat. All products were from SprayMax and in rattle cans.

The spray pattern was really nice for everything but the etching primer, which was pretty typical pattern for any rattle can you'd buy elsewhere.

I hung them up through one of the upper door holes using some paracord and a couple of small wrenches.

Etching primer:
IMG_20200722_213502.jpg

high build primer:

IMG_20200722_215505.jpg

after the high build primer went on, I went over it with a 400 grit-equivalent scotchbrite pad to smooth it out. Once I was certain it wasn't going anywhere, I masked up the backsides to keep the interior a matte black, then sprayed the basecoat (forest green pearl PG8).

IMG_20200722_235652.jpg

Then I punched the pin on the bottom of the clearcoat (to allow the 2 components to mix) and sprayed the clear.

IMG_20200723_001859.jpg

I didn't even take any more photos after that because the clear came out like CRAP. I didn't research adequately and did my usual multiple-light-coats process and it ended up with the worst extreme of orange peel imaginable, which wasn't even consistent. I also noticed the next day that the passenger side door didn't get complete coverage with the basecoat so I could see some of the black primer through it. I roughed it up and laid another coat of base, which fixed that, and then I finally figured out what I was doing with the clear but the can ran out halfway through (covering the new base but not the whole door). Great.

So I went on vacation for a week and when I got home I got my assortment of sandpaper and started wetsanding, hoping I could buff and polish it out. No dice. By the time I got up to 1500 grit I was into the basecoat.

So, back to the paint store I went, picking up 2 cans of clear this time (at about $25/can) and went back home, roughed it up to 600 grit, re-primed and basecoated a couple spots that I had accidentally sanded through and sprayed several nice wet heavy coats of clear.

The driver door came out just about perfect. The orange peel is almost to factory level. Best way I've found to capture that in a photo is to take a picture of the reflection of my handheld LED shop light.

IMG_20200802_172340.jpg

The passenger door is almost as good, but I did get a little carried away and ended up with a couple of runs/sags. It's low on the door and I'm not taking it to hot rod shows so I'm leaning toward leaving it 'cause there's a half decent chance I make things worse instead of better.

On the color match I'm not real sure. The tub is really dusty and hasn't had a coat of wax in...ever as far as I know, so it may just be comparing dirt to brand new paint, but the door looks darker to me. This photo exaggerates it a bit. Hopefully it evens out once it's all clean, but if not, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to try to fix it. It seemed like it matched better before I redid the clear, but maybe I just had different lighting. I'm sure there's got to be some sun fade effect after 21 years but I don't know enough about paint to know what a body shop would have done about it. They had me take a sample paint chip out to the Jeep and compare before they mixed it and it was perfect.

IMG_20200802_220744.jpg

I'm interested from anyone else with the JCR doors - is there slack between the latch and striker that lets the door move around 1/8" of an inch or so when closed? I haven't driven it yet but it seems like that's going to make noise and drive me nuts. Also, I don't have any means of attachment for a door limit strap, not sure if there was supposed to be something for that or if I need to fabricate something to attach to the back of the lower hinge bolts.

I haven't had it out of the garage yet for a good outdoor shot, but here's the best I can get in my garage, including the update from the 50" amazon light bar to the KC Hilites Slimlite 6" LEDs mounted to the A-pillars.

IMG_20200802_221409.jpg

For the lights, I used most of the included KC harness, but instead of wiring it to their provided switch, I wired it to a relay which is energized by a factory-look switch I got from ebay and mounted next to the switches for the rear wipers, fog lights, and my locker. Upstream of the switch I ran a wire from the parking light circuit so the KC's can only come on if the parking or headlights are also on. I had the same arrangement with the light bar because if one of my kids hits the button, I can drive around all day with them on looking like an idiot and never knowing it.

Reactions: tworley and DuncLJ
Metallics can be tricky to spray, especially in rattle can form. You can actually make the color darker, or lighter, just by the amount of air pressure, or solvent dilution.

Doors look great. I hope you enjoy them. I'm loving mine. I'm gonna be bummed when I have to take them off for winter.

Metallics can be tricky to spray, especially in rattle can form. You can actually make the color darker, or lighter, just by the amount of air pressure, or solvent dilution.

I figured there had to be something I was missing out on being able to control using a rattle can.

It is what it is, I guess.

Got it out and washed the dust off. The paint match looks good enough that I think it won't be noticed by the uncritical eye unless in a brightly lit, controlled environment where the effects of shadows and reflections are minimized.

IMG_20200804_124626-01.jpeg

IMG_20200804_124601-01.jpeg

so as I build my LJ (build thread linked in signature) I'll be un-building this TJ.

Since it'll be getting the 3.73 axles from the LJ, I don't want to have big tires on it, thinking either 30s or 31s. I have a set of 28's which are going to look comically small, especially with the MCE fenders up front. Fortunately the LJ came with a set of JK wheels with decent metric 33's that I can probably sell for enough to buy a new set of 31's for the TJ.

Since I'll have smaller tires with the MCE fenders, I don't want any lift, so I have a set of stock springs to put on. That also opens up some issues:

1. I don't have any stock length shocks, so I'll have to buy some. Probably going with the $30/ea Monroe's from O'Reilly.
2. The stock rear driveshaft I have is for a Dana 35, which means it's probably going to be too long for the Dana 44. Thinking craigslist might be less costly than having a driveline shop shorten it?
3. I drilled out the front frameside track bar mount for my Currie. I have a tapered insert normally used for tie rod flips but I don't know for sure that the taper on the front track bar is the same as the tie rod.
4. I have a MML that I don't want to remove, so I'm hoping the changes it makes to the driveline angle don't cause vibrations at stock ride height.

goodness gracious this thing looks sad. Like a dog taking a dump. The photo doesn't even do it justice.

IMG_20201203_230010.jpg

I'm starting to think maybe the stock springs I got on marketplace might have been from a SE w/ soft top, because I only have about 3.5-3.75" of uptravel the way it sits. I planned to sell the hard top separately anyway so that should help some, and taking off the Morryde tailgate reinforcement and the 32" spare should help too, but I'm also thinking of throwing the heavy Body Armor bumper in the scrap bin and putting the stock bumper on from the LJ.

Lastly, I'm having second thoughts about the sequence of work I did. I'm wishing I'd have done the transfer case swap first, before I took the lift off, so I could just put the rear on ramps instead of jack stands. But here we are.

I have a new candidate for most hated part on a Jeep.

1608222026713.png

It was in the teens last night outside; I don't know what the temperature was in my garage, but even 4 feet from an 18kBTU propane heater it's cold enough to see my breath, which no doubt doesn't help. With my heat gun I could only seem to find "not warm enough" and "melt the damned thing" which weren't good enough to get it installed into the shift lever under the tub. At one point I thought I had it pressed in with a c clamp, nut, and socket (really fun with 2 hands), so I put the transfer case in, connected the front driveshaft, put the skid plate back on and had it all buttoned up - went to test the shifter adjustment and wouldn't you know, the thing popped back out.

I ordered a new $10 Crown shifter bushing (after talking myself off the ledge of just buying another cable shifter to leave on the TJ when I sell it), though the reviews have similar complaints about it being difficult to install, and now there's a transfer case and skid plate in the way, so I'm anticipating a fun time. Maybe I'll just try a cup of almost boiling soapy water to heat the bushing and get it good and slippery instead of destroying another one with the heat gun.

That struggle along with the fact that the TJ had been snowed on and was dripping dirty cold water on me all night made for a frustrating experience.

Today I hope to install a rear driveshaft that's delivering today from @Jamison C (many thanks!) that seems to have made the rounds around here and should finally have a forever home. If anybody needs a Dana 35 5 speed driveshaft or an LJ 6 speed driveshaft, I have some laying around that I'll be happy to pay forward for the cost of shipping. Also need to finish removing the SpeedoHealer, fix my passenger door which randomly won't open or unlock without reaching into the door and working it by hand, swap over the tailgate hinges vs the MORryde reinforcement kit, and rear bumpers. Maaaaybe get to swapping the front axle over the weekend.

Reactions: Jamison C
I've all but confirmed the stock springs I put on it were from an SE, because I got them with a set of wheels and tires, which are 205/75R15 (effectively a 27x8R15 :sick:) and from what I can tell that size was only offered on the SE. So the wheels and tires will be going back for sale. The tires are actually decent, better than 50% for sure, so hopefully I can at least get my $100 back out of them. Doubt anybody will want the springs so they'll end up in the pile destined for the scrapyard.