Build from the bottom-up?

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm curious - what's the feasibility like of building a TJ from the bottom-up? Buy a frame, body, throw a Chevy small block V8 in, etc?

I would think from this stand-point that the paint would be the most expensive step? I know good paint jobs can cost over $8k.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I'm curious - what's the feasibility like of building a TJ from the bottom-up? Buy a frame, body, throw a Chevy small block V8 in, etc?

I would think from this stand-point that the paint would be the most expensive step? I know good paint jobs can cost over $8k.
People do it all the time so to answer your question, yes it is feasible.

Paint and body would be expensive and so would all the labor involved in building it.

The LS engines are great swaps and very cheap, but there are also plenty of 4.0’s out there to pickup too.

TJ frames and bodies are all over junk yards and relatively affordable when talking about buildig an entire TJ from the ground up. Parts are plentiful on ebay or even salvage yards.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
People do it all the time so to answer your question, yes it is feasible.

Paint and body would be expensive and so would all the labor involved in building it.

The LS engines are great swaps and very cheap, but there are also plenty of 4.0’s out there to pickup too.

TJ frames and bodies are all over junk yards and relatively affordable when talking about buildig an entire TJ from the ground up. Parts are plentiful on ebay or even salvage yards.

Was mostly curious because I was looking for TJs on Craigslist and it showed a SIlver tub for $1500. So it got me thinking about the cost of building one. Doubt I have the patience for that kind of thing. lol

https://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/d/jeep-wrangler-tj-tub/6475350078.html

From the stand-point of a tub and frame, what kind of rust-proofing can you do? I've seen on here someone had spray-on bed liner applied to the interior of the vehicle. What about doing something like that to the frame/underbody? Would that kind of application work well or is there something better?

It's my understanding that complete frame-off builds require a LOT of time and money. If you have those, go for it!

But then, say it costs you $10k to build one from scratch. It'd be a lot easier to just find a clean one already built by that Jeep factory in Ohio for that kind of cost. Maybe not as fun, but quicker. And you would know it works.

It's my understanding that complete frame-off builds require a LOT of time and money. If you have those, go for it!

This is all part of my research into TJs. I don't think I'll be building anything from the ground-up, but my curiosity demands I ask.

When I have a number (price) in my head, I think about all the ways I could go about getting there. Buy from a dealer, buy an older project and customize, start from ground up, etc. I like to think through and run all the options past people like you folks who have a much better idea on costs and the like. :)

Oh, it's feasible, it would just be much more expensive than buying one that is already put together. It would be a time consuming project as well, albeit a fun one if you had the time.

And you're one of the first smart people I've ran into, knowing full well that a good paint job can cost over 8k. I tell that to most people and they say things like, "Well, I know someone who will do it for $1000.". Ha... yeah, and it will be the crappiest paint job ever. A good, full body (meaning under the hood, behind the dash, etc.), top quality paint job can easily cost 8k.

If I were to do a frame up build, I would look into an older Jeep, CJ5 or 7. Simpler electronics, been done a million times, plenty of parts and conversion pieces available. An old CJ7 with a SBC/5 spd/Atlas twin stick/60's front and rear would be bad ass! I say do it!

Problem you have starting without a Jeep to build, is that there are SO MANY little pieces that you just can't get. You'd be pulling your hair out trying to find them all.

That tub isn't all that good a deal either. Buddy bought one for 400 bucks, rust free from Tennesee and had it shipped here (Michigan) for 150, I think.