Built a killer Jeep Trailer to tow behind the Rubicon

Badlands

Took an original 1967 M416 trailer and built it out for the Rubicon, It sports a new heavy duty axle with electric brakes and shocks, Swivel front hitch, propane tank, 4 Jerry cans of treated gas, 2 - 5 gallon water cans, 12 volt deep cycle battery, Radio equipment and everything needed to survive out in the wilderness for up to 2 weeks. I also put on new wheels to match the Rubicon. I think it turned out nice, just need to add a solar panel to keep the deep cycle charged!

20180829_094649_resized[1630].jpg

20180829_094958_resized[1633].jpg

20180829_094830_resized[1627] (2).jpg

Well done! Are you going to sport a RTT? Two things, You might want to add some rocker/corner guards to the front corners. You'll need to drag that puppy around some obstacles. 2nd, do you plan to add a 3 axis hitch so you can articulate that trailer?

To the original poster, have you ever been on the Rubicon?

Well done! Are you going to sport a RTT? Two things, You might want to add some rocker/corner guards to the front corners. You'll need to drag that puppy around some obstacles. 2nd, do you plan to add a 3 axis hitch so you can articulate that trailer?

The trailer sports a ground tent for now, I have thought about a RTT but I have to many pokers in the fire between the Jeep, trailer, motorcycles, truck and camper and i just put a new motor in the king ranch. The tongue on the trailer is a swivel hitch now but it was done before articulating hitches were popular, it was designed by an army engineer.

Reactions: JLLJ and bobthetj03
How is your turn radius with the trailer. Your tongue length might be a bit short for serious tail riding. Thoughts?

How is your turn radius with the trailer. Your tongue length might be a bit short for serious tail riding. Thoughts?

It is a little short, I have been thinking about lengthening it, I use a hitch extension for now and I haven't had any clearance issues yet, but yeah, it needs to be longer!

Reactions: bobthetj03
I've been on the Con. I built a trailer in hopes of dragging it thru the trail some day. Hope to learn from your experiences. Honestly, pulling a trailer thru that trail scares the crap out of me! Lol!

Reactions: Daryl
Another thing too, that landing gear looks to be kinda low and it might get damaged. Oh and those mud flaps will probably get torn off if and when you back up over a big rock.

Last edited:
Very nice looking trailer. Way too nice to drag through the Rubicon Trail in my humble opinion.

I've done it. Once. Pulled a trailer across the Duzy Ershim Trail as well. Once. [Are we sensing a trend? :)]

Here's mine, a 1946 Bantam T3-C, now used primarily for "overlanding" and as a base camp field kitchen. Photo taken in 2005 after the trailer was restored and all trail damage repaired:

Jeep Trailer 1.jpg

Note: the ball coupler slides into a receiver tube and is exchanged for a multi-axis Lock-N-Roll hitch for the trail. The interior contains a chuck box, ARB 12v fridge with Group 31 battery, and 14 gal. water tank (gravity feed to spigot seen behind the tire). Also visible is the Manchester 11# ASME rated horizontal propane tank. The top was custom made by Can-Back back when the company was located in Azusa CA and still owned by its founder.

Last edited:
You must
Another thing too, that landing gear looks to be kinda low and it might get damaged. Oh and those mud flaps will probably get torn off if and when you back up over a big rock.

Yeah the landing leg needs to be changed, I just cannot get myself to take off the original equipment, I already took off the parking brake. The issue is, unless the trailer is perfectly balanced it becomes hard to get the tongue on the hitch, also when it is center balanced it has a tendency to sway at higher hwy speeds, you have to remember top speed on the military jeeps was 45mph so it needs some tongue weight. A new adjustable tongue jack is in the future, I found a Bulldog jack that is pretty heavy duty.