Bump stop question

mibi

recently purchased a LJ. came with rancho 5000 shocks and these bump stocks. but ride is so rough going over seemingly small bumps like speed bumps.... pls see the pic of my front bump stops... if I understand this correctly, it seems even if the shock has 10 " of travel , there is only room for like 1.5" of the axle moving up (during going over a bump) before the bump stop limits travel.. is this correct?? seems like the bump stop means I only get <2" of spring compression before the whole frame and body ( and me) is pushed upwards. sorry if this is a stupid Q but this is my first jeep

IMG_0702.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
That's not right.

It almost looks like you have multiple bump stop spacers between your factory bump stop tube and bump stop cup. (are there multiple "sections" of your bump stop tube?) It looks like someone ran a huge budget boost (coil-over spacer) but removed it, without removing multiple bump stop extenders.

You should have at least 5 or 6 inches between the bump stop and bottom of the spring. If there are no over-the-coil spacers, I would remove all of the spacers, so that your bump stop cup bolts up directly to your original bump stop tube.

You are correct, your bump stop is too long and as you certainly feel, it bottoms out. Those are aftermarket stops. I would jump on Amazon or wherever and pick up some stock jounce bumpers. Get them installed and go from there. Is the Jeep lifted at all?

You need these,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016J1CW0E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

To add, stock is about 8" of total travel so about 4 up, 4 down. Measure the exposed portion of the shaft of the shock and post it up.

small lift- 2" coil spacers.

Those are definitely too long. A crude/rough measurement: Measure the exposed strut of the shock; measure from the lower spring pad to the end of the cup that the bumper sits in. Post up the measurements.

IMG_0718.jpg FOLLOW UP= Just finished 4 hours in the garage.. replaced the old Rancho 5000 shocks with new Rancho 9000XL. fixed the bump stops after replacing the shocks so there is correct range based on the shock travel. replaced the 20" wheels and tires with new 17". I still cant believe the Prior Owner let those bumpstops with <2" axle vertical travel. The jeep rides so much better now-— its almost unbelievable the transformation when going over speed bumps!

Reactions: Chris