Bumper and tire carrier suggestions

So... I just got rear ended and now my tailgate and tire carrier, as well as the rear bumper are warped and pretty much trash. The damage isn't crazy, but Its hard to justify trying to repair them, so I think I'll have to get an omix or crown tailgate and have it painted. The issue is that some of the FAQs say that the metal used on the replacement tailgates isn't quite as thick as the stock tailgates, and I run 31's, which is pretty much the limit for the tailgate without extra bracing. My question to all of you is what do you suggest I do: Get the new tailgate and add bracing like exogate or morryde or get a bumper with a tire carrier built in?
Source a used tailgate, get it painted, and run it. In your area you should be able to find a rust free one.

Reactions: TJoe
So... I just got rear ended and now my tailgate and tire carrier, as well as the rear bumper are warped and pretty much trash. The damage isn't crazy, but Its hard to justify trying to repair them, so I think I'll have to get an omix or crown tailgate and have it painted. The issue is that some of the FAQs say that the metal used on the replacement tailgates isn't quite as thick as the stock tailgates, and I run 31's, which is pretty much the limit for the tailgate without extra bracing. My question to all of you is what do you suggest I do: Get the new tailgate and add bracing like exogate or morryde or get a bumper with a tire carrier built in?
Why don't you buy the tailgate from a junkyard?

Reactions: TJoe
I actually thought of that yesterday. There is specifically a jeep salvage yard in town so that makes it easy. I still have to call though
You have one of the best locations in the country for finding rust free used parts. Any other plan is silly!

Reactions: J R and TJoe
Did you ever use it to mount an aerial on?
Yes
rearcarrier.png

Last edited: