Bumpstop Alignment

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for advice. With driver side front axle articulated up (Passenger side drooped). My bumps aren’t making (surface area) contact. The trac bar pulls the axle to the passenger side during articulation. My concern is the spring distortion at this misalignment of the bump stops. I’ve checked my axle center.

711424FF-ECFA-4EB8-8731-E6DE5B979B8E.jpeg

Looking for advice. With driver side front axle articulated up (Passenger side drooped). My bumps aren’t making (surface area) contact. The trac bar pulls the axle to the passenger side during articulation. My concern is the spring distortion at this misalignment of the bump stops. I’ve checked my axle center.

View attachment 182743
Is the shock bottomed out?

By how much?
How does it all look at full bump?

FYI and not because I think you aren't capable of figuring it out, but as you increase down travel with the same uptravel, things move further and exaggerate small issues into big ones.
I’ve slept since then. So these numbers may slightly be off. That photo should have 1” or less of shaft showing. Once the upper bumper makes contact and begins lifting the Jeep from the stands there’s maybe 1/2” or less of shaft showing. Just the thickness of the rubber bumper on the shaft so you cannot physically see the shaft, just the rubber bumper on the shaft.

I realize the more up/down travel there is, there is an increase in smaller issues becoming larger.

To add to that, I’m not sure how the spring can conform to this misalignment in the bump stops.

I’ve slept since then. So these numbers may slightly be off. That photo should have 1” or less of shaft showing. Once the upper bumper makes contact and begins lifting the Jeep from the stands there’s maybe 1/2” or less of shaft showing. Just the thickness of the rubber bumper on the shaft so you cannot physically see the shaft, just the rubber bumper on the shaft.

I realize the more up/down travel there is, there is an increase in smaller issues becoming larger.

To add to that, I’m not sure how the spring can conform to this misalignment in the bump stops.
It is a spring, it doesn't care. I'm working on one that had the rear springs in a giant Z shape due to the spring perches being offset the wrong way and rotated to flat for the upper. Easily 4" of offset between the upper and lower coils. Checked what we know to be the presumed ride height for a 4" Currie rear spring and they are still delivering that.

It is a spring, it doesn't care. I'm working on one that had the rear springs in a giant Z shape due to the spring perches being offset the wrong way and rotated to flat for the upper. Easily 4" of offset between the upper and lower coils. Checked what we know to be the presumed ride height for a 4" Currie rear spring and they are still delivering that.
Sorry I think I worded my last post incorrectly. Yes I agree on what your saying. I’m referring to the physical dimension of the spring coils.

Looking back at my photo, once bumps touch, the upper bump is contacting the raised sway bar mount bracket. That would leave no area for the spring.

Once the spring is under the Jeep and the driver side fully articulates up I would assume the upper bump would contact the side of the spring and may limit the up travel?

Am I thinking about this entirely wrong?

Here you go Matt. As per our discussions, the rear A/R installed behind the axle, front arms with a 1" offset, rear outboarding of a Fox 12" all on a TJ. The arm is slightly above the top of the tire so the tire can swing under it. This is full droop to show that the end of the link can't go under the frame. I'll get some more at ride height later today or tomorrow.
DSC_5462.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Alex01 and mvigo
Here you go Matt. As per our discussions, the rear A/R installed behind the axle, front arms with a 1" offset, rear outboarding of a Fox 12" all on a TJ. The arm is slightly above the top of the tire so the tire can swing under it. This is full droop to show that the end of the link can't go under the frame. I'll get some more at ride height later today or tomorrow. View attachment 183108
Thanks. This is very helpful. If I’m not mistaken the front arms are 18”. The arms I purchased and put a 1” off set in when I tried to mount in front of the axle are 18”. If all this is correct it appears as all I would need to purchase now is the TJ mounting brackets, new axle brackets and move it to behind the axle. My photo below, the arm appears to have the offset in nearly the same location as yours.

95D93684-DFA5-4945-AF86-F1BD69B2EF6E.jpeg

What back spacing does the TJ in that photo have? It looks like there is some tire to antirock arm contact.

Lastly, I assume you didn’t reply to the last post because I’m over thinking things with the front axle driver side at bump? If not I’ll continue to try to understand.

Thanks. This is very helpful. If I’m not mistaken the front arms are 18”. The arms I purchased and put a 1” off set in when I tried to mount in front of the axle are 18”. If all this is correct it appears as all I would need to purchase now is the TJ mounting brackets, new axle brackets and move it to behind the axle. My photo below, the arm appears to have the offset in nearly the same location as yours.

View attachment 183128

What back spacing does the TJ in that photo have? It looks like there is some tire to antirock arm contact.

Lastly, I assume you didn’t reply to the last post because I’m over thinking things with the front axle driver side at bump? If not I’ll continue to try to understand.
That is a used set of front arms I had. The rear tire will never touch them. Not sure on the BS, but easily close to 4".
You will have to do some trimming on the axle side bracket. There is a very small spot it can live in.
Yes, you are overthinking it.

Reactions: mattcogdell