Busted knee / people / thoughts

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had the unpleasant experience of a full separation of my patellar tendon playing kick ball at the company party. Wow that hurts! One of my first thoughts was how long until Ems arrives because this mother hurts. Overall it’s a humbling experience, start the day with okay and ending on how I am going to go to the bathroom, get all the fall chores done…. Basic stuff.

Some good people came forward, amazing how a couple of home cooked meals help, offers to get this weeks lawn mowed, and this wonderful contraption that a friend brought over that runs a ice pack through a cooler with a pump. This thing is genius.

Had a co-worker call to tell me to run this against the company Workman comp- Which illustrates there is giver and there are takers. It’s an unconscionable thought for me to do that, company puts a fun event by invitation no obligation to show up, welcome to bring the fam, kick ball was an elective event…. why would you think the company owed you this? Some people, Which Segway's into the cost..

Erroneous claims just drive the cost up for everyone, suck it up and own what you need to own. Roof salesman stops by says hey need a new roof? make an insurance claim for hail damage- “go pound sand” roof look worn because it’s old not because of hail.

Insurance is going to be fun, surgery center wanted the 4k upfront- took the liberty of pre running the numbers- holy crap thought I had 30 days not 3 days to figure that part out. Not like I would consider elective but let’s be honest. Healthcare sucks!, the Affordable care act made insurance anything but affordable, corporate hospitals masquerading as non profits are another problem. I did not even get to the ER, busy night so I got the back-up room. Probably got out faster because of that, but in the exit I ask for a pain pill for the road, turn out handy as I was literally in tears trying to get the poorly braced leg into the car for home. Honestly there is no pretty way to get 6’ dude with a straight leg into the front seat…should have had them clear out the back seat. No staff to help just the wife and my daughter. Then find out that there is not a pharmacy open in the whole county to fill the prescription. I was going to be in some pain if my daughters had not drove to next county over where there is one late night Walgreens. Why doesn’t the hospital give you a 12hour to go pack…geez that would have been helpful, wish we had asked.

so anyway looks like I am day one post -op, and not looking like I can drive a stick shift or tinker on a car for sometime. Had a whole punch list including painting the shop before winter. No more. Got to save money for the lawn care service I hired and the doctor bills that are coming, plus the physical therapy…good times. At least I have a job that can do mostly from home and people at work have been totally supportive.

Last edited:
I had the unpleasant experience of a full separation of my patellar tendon play kick ball at the company part. Wow that hurts! One of my first thoughts was how long until Ems arrives be a use this mother hurts. Overall it’s a humbling experience, start the day with okay and ending on how I am going to go to the bathroom, get all the fall chores done…. Basic stuff.

Some good people came forward, amazing how a couple of home cooked meals help, offers to get this weeks lawn mowed, and this wonderful contraption that a friend brought over that runs a ice pack through a cooler with a pump. This thing is genius.

Had a co-worker call to tell me to run this against the company Workman comp- Which illustrates there is giver and there are takers. It’s an unconscionable thought for me to do that, company puts a fun event by invitation no obligation to show up, welcome to bring the fam, kick ball was an elective event…. why would you think the company owed you this? Some people, Which Segway's into the cost..

Erroneous claims just drive the cost up for everyone, suck it up and own what you need to own. Roof salesman stops by says hey new roof it make a insurance claim for hail damage- “go pound sand” roof look worn because it’s old not because of hail.

Insurance is going to be fun, surgery center wanted the 4k okay upfront- took the liberty of pre running the numbers- holy crap thought I had 30 days not 3 days to figure that part out. Not like I would consider elective but let’s be honest. Healthcare sucks!, the Affordable care act made insurance anything but affordable, corporate hospitals masquerading as non profits are another problem. I did not even get to the ER, busy night so I got the back-up room. Probably got out faster because of that, but in the exit I ask for a pain pill for the road, turn out handy as I was literally in tears trying to get the poorly braced leg into the car for home. Honestly there is no pretty way to get 6’ dude with a straight leg into the front seat…should have had them clear out the back seat. No staff to help just the wife and my daughter. Then find out that there is not a pharmacy open in the whole county to fill the prescription. I was going to be in some pain if my daughters had not drove to next county over where there is one late night Walgreens. Why doesn’t the hospital give you a 12hour to go pack…geez that would have been helpful, wish we had asked.

so anyway looks like I am day one post -op, and not looking like I can drive a stick shift or tinker on a car for sometime. Had a whole punch list including painting the shop before winter. No more. Got to save money for the lawn care service I hired and the doctor bills that are coming, plus the physical therapy…good times. At least I have a job that can do mostly from home and people at work have been totally supportive.

That's just dandy. Get better.

I had the unpleasant experience of a full separation of my patellar tendon play kick ball at the company part. Wow that hurts! One of my first thoughts was how long until Ems arrives be a use this mother hurts. Overall it’s a humbling experience, start the day with okay and ending on how I am going to go to the bathroom, get all the fall chores done…. Basic stuff.

Erroneous claims just drive the cost up for everyone, suck it up and own what you need to own. Roof salesman stops by says hey new roof it make a insurance claim for hail damage- “go pound sand” roof look worn because it’s old not because of hail.

Insurance is going to be fun, surgery center wanted the 4k okay upfront- took the liberty of pre running the numbers- holy crap thought I had 30 days not 3 days to figure that part out. Not like I would consider elective but let’s be honest. Healthcare sucks!, the Affordable care act made insurance anything but affordable, corporate hospitals masquerading as non profits are another problem. I did not even get to the ER, busy night so I got the back-up room. Probably got out faster because of that, but in the exit I ask for a pain pill for the road, turn out handy as I was literally in tears trying to get the poorly braced leg into the car for home. Honestly there is no pretty way to get 6’ dude with a straight leg into the front seat…should have had them clear out the back seat. No staff to help just the wife and my daughter. Then find out that there is not a pharmacy open in the whole county to fill the prescription. I was going to be in some pain if my daughters had not drove to next county over where there is one late night Walgreens. Why doesn’t the hospital give you a 12hour to go pack…geez that would have been helpful, wish we had asked.

Yeah, that sucks….hang in there. Stuff can happen fast as we all know.

Last edited:

I hear you. I am two weeks back to work after 5 months off. Had a medial tribular plateau fracture. Still using a cane to get around.

I hear you. I am two weeks back to work after 5 months off. Had a medial tribular plateau fracture. Still using a cane to get around.

Ouch, Not sure my overall time frame but it’s somewhere in the neighborhood. Hope overall things turn well for you. 5 months out of work, yikes.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
Ouch, Not sure my overall time frame but it’s somewhere in the neighborhood. Hope overall things turn well for you. 5 months out of work, yikes.

I owe my retired father, who payed the bills. We survived because I paid off my house years ago. No car payments.

I got a paycheck so, going to the beer store. Getting fuel for me Jeep an taking cash out to start paying me dad back.

Boy, do I miss beer.

Hang in there. The light at the end of the bottle will appear soon.

If I can offer some unsolicited advice, I think you’re looking at the workers’ compensation suggestion the wrong way. Workers’ compensation is generally an administrative law system that falls outside of the tort (negligence) court system, & workers’ compensation insurance generally covers injuries sustained on the job without the need for proving fault on the part of the employer; fault is not a factor, you’re not blaming them for wrongdoing. In exchange, the employee generally gives up the right to sue the employer for pain and suffering, typically being limited to things like lost wages and medical bill payments.

Workers’ compensation is akin to personal injury light.

Company sponsored events, like this party, are actually considered ‘on the job’ in certain states depending on the particular circumstances. IF that is the case in your particular state, and I have no idea if it is, you aren’t doing anything ‘wrong’ by asserting the rights afforded by the law, you’re not Slippin Jimmy so there's no reason to feel like you're doing something unconscionable. It’s not a matter of the company ‘owing you this’, it’s no different than making a claim for damages to your vehicle when you hit a deer at 50mph & mangle the front end, it’s an insurance company adjusting a claim which is their entire purpose on this planet.

This is NOT to say you are required to file a claim, just that it is your option, and moreover it wouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone (employer or their insurer) if you made a claim.

To beat this horse to death, just keep in mind if you did choose to make a claim (rather than trying to figure out how to pay all these bills and deductibles and lost wages for any missed hours), you’re not ‘going after your employer’, you’re making an insurance claim which is exactly what the employer anticipated, and is entitled to, by virtue of their premium payments. Will that cause their insurance to go up, maybe, that depends on a lot of factors.

All I’m suggesting is that you don’t make decisions about a pretty important issue based on the misguided belief that you’re blaming your employer or doing something untoward.

Agree with above. Check with your HR. That said, WC can be a pain to deal with but it covers all medical bills and time away from work due to injury. There will be a settlement to wrap the case up, and documentation on how that specific injury will be covered/handled in the future. This is a good thin because knee injuries start th cascade of more knee injuries - at least in my personal experience.

This is not a you vs your employer. They carry that insurance for a reason.

man that sucks. No surgery involved but I had a random neck injury that sends pain down my right arm....for two months.

I sit at a computer and write code most of the time, so while I can't ride a bike, shoot a rifle, sit through church or my kids school musical, or go wheeling...the one thing I can do is work, which is probably what left my neck in such poor condition that this could have happened to begin with.

After a misdiagnosis from the walk-in clinic and then 8 chiropractor visits waiting to get in to see my primary care, an inconclusive MRI, I finally started phys therapy this week.

Anyway...long term constant pain does stuff to your mind if you let it. Try to stay positive. I'm gonna go lay down with a heating pad.

in part I hear what your saying but I was not injured on the job, I was not injured doing a work thing. I was hurt doing a play thing. In Idaho it has to be on the job and compensation premiums is priced out but type of work classification. My wife’s company pays a low rate on light retail. My employer is manufacturing with a lot of manual lift and tasks. Different and higher rates obviously. A company gets measured on experience or a e-modifier when they-renew. the higher your claims experience the higher the renewal. No free lunch, somebody has to pay. The employer also pays 100% of the premium so it’s hard budgeted cost for the company when the e mod goes up and you have 500 employees premiums to pay.. it all adds up. Plus the safety guy and I spoke as he was checking on me overall but also confirmed it’s not a coverable event. In the long run it was my decision to sign up for kick ball, I took a turn a spin on the wheel of youth and lost this round... but next time I will be a contender!

My seat heater kits arrived today! It was my ticket into enjoying fall with the doors off, alas I won’t be driving it all for awhile and probably need to have my son come over and bolt those back on for me…. 😩

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
in part I hear what your saying but I was not injured on the job, I was not injured doing a work thing. I was hurt doing a play thing. In Idaho it has to be on the job and compensation premiums is priced out but type of work classification. My wife’s company pays a low rate on light retail. My employer is manufacturing with a lot of manual lift and tasks. Different and higher rates obviously. A company gets measured on experience or a e-modifier when they-renew. the higher your claims experience the higher the renewal. No free lunch, somebody has to pay. The employer also pays 100% of the premium so it’s hard budgeted cost for the company when the e mod goes up and you have 500 employees premiums to pay.. it all adds up. Plus the safety guy and I spoke as he was checking on me overall but also confirmed it’s not a coverable event. In the long run it was my decision to sign up for kick ball, I took a turn a spin on the wheel of youth and lost this round... but next time I will be a contender!
I get that you weren’t injured doing your actual job at the job site, just saying that in some states those are not required elements, and things like company softball games (or kickball games), Christmas parties and bbqs are in fact work related and thus compensable….

If Idaho isn’t one of those states then that ends the analysis.

If however your only source of that information is the safety guy, I wouldn’t take that for gospel as safety guys and HR guys and manager guys and supervisor guys are all company guys and tend to do/say whatever is necessary to dissuade people from exercising their rights, I literally see that occur in one fashion or another in most cases. They unsurprisingly often do that to save the company a potential increase in their workers’ comp rates. Let that sink in, they do that because X amount of dollars is more important to them than you, your knee, and your related problems.

I have no idea if that’s what’s happening here, but if you’re curious to confirm you received correct information I’d contact a local workers’ compensation attorney and have a consultation, they’re usually free with no obligation.

Yea you voluntarily went to the party, yea you voluntarily jumped in the game, yea you voluntarily ran hard & hurt yourself, no, nobody forced you to do it – so what, these are subjective emotional responses to an objective problem.

When people sustain injuries, particularly serious ones that may impact their ability to earn money either temporarily or in some cases permanently, as well as cost them real money in medical expenses, in my view those people become more important than loyalty to any company where they may work, & it’s been my experience that such loyalty is rarely (almost never) a two way street – if I had a buck for each of my clients that have been canned following an injury, on or off the job, I could buy @Chris's TJ, if he still has it, with enough left over to ditch that God awful color & put a nice flame red paint job on it!

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

So, ironically, we had a very similar issue at a previous employer. Not kickball, but he did tear his knee up at a company picnic, on company property. It was covered under worker’s comp. Our HR director was pissed he filed. On one hand, yeah, he stumbled on a chuck hole, not doing work and it could have happened anywhere. On the other hand, it DID happen at work, during work hours and he was a guy whose job required him to be on his feet.

Personally, I believe that’s why you have insurance, to cover the incident and make the person whole again. Otherwise, you risk exposure to a much bigger loss if the person doesn’t have it taken care of correctly in a timely matter.

Kickball is apparently crazy dangerous. I had a buddy a few years ago who was playing in a game as a fundraiser of some sort. He kicks the ball and takes off toward first. First step he completely tears the achilles tendon in his right leg. Second step he completely tears the achilles tendon in his left leg.

Man, he was completely laid up for a long time.

Get well soon, Dude.

• Wow
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
Mine was even less eventful, my first “pitch”. did a 3 step approach, plant the left foot kick with the right. Aiming over short stop… Did not complete that kick..3/4 the way through the left knee went. I voluntary went to ground. very humbling. I had even did my stretches before the game….

Get well soon, JustDandee! I'm the elder at our company. The average age is probably 25. They have a kickball team in the local recreation league, and they've been goading me to join them for years. Your experience is exactly why I tell them my time for such activities is past!