Buying a cheap TJ rust bucket to repair is good option?

canary bird

Before I write more, let me say, that I am pursing a clean rust-free southern or western States clean TJ '97-'02, 2.5 or 4.0 auto for $6-8k (hint hint, help me find one!), not a rust bucket around Indiana ...
... however, a dealer friend in Northern Indiana with 50 years+ of experience in buying & selling vehicles gave me this advice (I am not taking it) ...
"I have a salesman who owns and drives a TJ Jeep. Your best bet on a TJ Jeep is to buy one around Indiana and figure on fixing the frame (cost around $1,200 to $1,800 for repair). The Jeeps down south are probably no better than those around here. People and body shops buy them up, patch up the frames with bondo and paint. I would not trust any of the jockeys from the south selling Jeeps. You find me the Jeeps that you are interested in and send me the VIN# and I can tell what past history that is available. Remember, Carfax only tells you what has been reported, not necessarily what all that’s happened to vehicle - if no police report, it’s not on Carfax."

What are your thoughts? Be nice ... :)

My thoughts, as a buyer it’s up to you to confirm the condition of what you buy. Trust nobody and you are less likely to be screwed or disappointed.

I originally wanted a salvage TJ to sawzall and put big tires on. I ended up with a nice LJ that I then took to the trails and “pinstriped” it myself.

I would try to buy from a private seller in a rust free zone as a first option if possible. I think you can usually tell after talking to someone if they are trustworthy. As, always YOU have to check and verify first hand if the jeep is a solid deal. You have to travel to see it or have someone you know and trust locally to put eyes and hands on it. Good luck

I thought you initially meant a frame swap but if just frame repair with new welded in sections that might work. Try to find a solid jeep that just may need portions of the frame replaced and factor that into the price and your resale value. This approach will impact resale but is doable. Have to consider all options in the rust belt prior to purchase.

Last edited:
6-8k, is keep you in the range of something that's gonna need some work.
and could be well short of puling a clean TJ out of the SW.

pick an area and find a few, if your gonna travel to inspect them, line up more than 1 to see in that area.

Reactions: taylormade73
Just my thought having owned a TJ since 2000, rust belt or not...the design of the TJ frame traps water in the bottom of it weather your in the north or south. Yes, salt belt areas have that increased effect, but steel and plain water can still cause rusting, or am I missing something?

any salt or brine zone is gonna be the worst, unless it's regularly cleaned or kept off the road during this time.

water isn't good, but will not have the effects the corrosive will cause. it's usually contaminants in the water that cause the issue so areas can be effected differently.
from KY to GA it's not the salt, but whats in the mud that causes their issues, but at a much slower rate than the corrosive.
water is 99% the criminal that carries the contaminants in. and how long it remains can effect the advancement of the corrosive it brought along with it.

I say fly and drive:

Check out this Jeep wrangler for $7150 on OfferUp
https://offerup.com/item/detail/815073810/
Check out this offer on OfferUp
Check out this Jeep Wrangler for $5500 on OfferUp https://offerup.com/item/detail/814635646/

Check out this Jeep Wrangler tj 2002 for $6699 on OfferUp https://offerup.com/item/detail/818581544/

Here 3x example i6, stick and more than likely rust free and low miles.
I found my 400 miles away in Las Vegas flew out and drove it home. Had 165k and few check engine lights. Brought my tools and scanner just a few o2 sensor. Didn't care drove it home. 5000 cash and he wanted 6k talked him down.

Good luck shopping.

They have a ton in Dallas too. No salt or rust there. Shorter drive home.

Check out this Jeep Wrangler TJ for $8500 on OfferUp https://offerup.com/item/detail/697706145/

Last edited:
Before I write more, let me say, that I am pursing a clean rust-free southern or western States clean TJ '97-'02, 2.5 or 4.0 auto for $6-8k (hint hint, help me find one!), not a rust bucket around Indiana ...
... however, a dealer friend in Northern Indiana with 50 years+ of experience in buying & selling vehicles gave me this advice (I am not taking it) ...
"I have a salesman who owns and drives a TJ Jeep. Your best bet on a TJ Jeep is to buy one around Indiana and figure on fixing the frame (cost around $1,200 to $1,800 for repair). The Jeeps down south are probably no better than those around here. People and body shops buy them up, patch up the frames with bondo and paint. I would not trust any of the jockeys from the south selling Jeeps. You find me the Jeeps that you are interested in and send me the VIN# and I can tell what past history that is available. Remember, Carfax only tells you what has been reported, not necessarily what all that’s happened to vehicle - if no police report, it’s not on Carfax."

What are your thoughts? Be nice ... :)
Where in IN are you?

I got both my 03 and 04 here in the rust belt,and both frames are flawless in mint condition. But I paid more than the budget you stated. Like some one said above at that price you'll be having to do some fixing and repairs to it before you get to the good stuff(lift n tires etc..). You just have to be diligent and patient,and searching a few times everyday. The clean ones can go fast. Everybodies different but I won't buy one that's rusting out. Its the 1st thing I look for,and as soon as I see it I'll immediately walk away. Save some more money and up your budget. Your dealer "friend" is full of what comes out my butt every morning...

Reactions: Apparition
Hopefully you dont have my luck (lack of experience) on the TJ frame. I'm putting on a new frame now (a very nice rust free frame) and unless you can do that work yourself, it will cost you another $4500=$5k for a new frame swap. $1800 for the frame and $3K for the labor to swap it out.

Rust free TJs are out there, just keep looking. Last fall after looking for about 3 months I found an 05, 4.0 Auto that is RUST FREE about 50 miles from home here in Missouri for $8k. It has a few dents in one front fender but that is easier to fix than rust. I just got an OME 2 " suspension lift for it that will be on by next week.

A 4.0 in the $6-8k range won't last for long if it's in good overall condition. You gotta be ready to pounce when those listings appear because if a normal buyer doesn't get it, there's usually a flipper that will jump at the opportunity to make a few bucks. I've seen a couple of solid deals within the past month in the PHX area that got purchased by flippers. You just have to be glued to a phone/computer to see the deals that pop up. The $6900 find I posted this morning seems to be a nice example from the pics.

Thank you all for your great advice! I am not in a rush, but need to be in a rush the second something that fits is available.

I looked at the offerup links, but I can't access them coming from Europe. Many sites are blocking users from Europe. :( Here is the message it gives me. I know I could also change the ???, I forget the letters, on my computer so websites read me as still being in the States.
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 5.41.53 PM.png

I bought my TJ knowing the frame would need capped in at least one area, but assuming I'd have to cap the entire lower portion. I paid $1,200 for it though. No body rust, one owner, and optioned just the way I wanted it otherwise, so I didn't mind putting the work I'm putting into it now. It's slow going since I'm also going through the brakes, exhaust and suspension at the same time, but I hope to be finished by the end of March/April.

Reactions: JAM
The nice version of my opinion on that is it's very bad advice.

Frame damage from rust, to the point where it needs a few thousand in repairs is terminal. You can't fix it, you can only slow it down. IMO the only thing a Jeep in that shape is good for is a parts donor. Unless you just really want to do a frame swap in the near future.

The Jeeps down south are probably no better than those around here.

I have 2 1999 TJs.

TJ #1
I bought from the original owner and spent it's entire life in Texas. Zero frame rust in and out and absolutely no patches
TJ#2
I am the 3rd owner. Spent half it's life in Georgia and the other half in Texas. Zero frame rust, no patches and only one tiny spot of rust in the passenger footwell of the tub from rain sitting in there, I presume.

I think your dealer buddy is playing the "buy a vehicle from me, you can trust me" game that he learned over selling cars for 50 years. I would use some of that $1800 to buy a plane ticket to Texas and come look at them yourself. Who knows, you may not want to go back to that white dirt (snow).

I wouldn’t waste $10 on a rust bucket. I realize that night not be an option unless you live in the desert like I do but they can be had if you look hard enough. Your budget might be a bit low though. Here in AZ prices for a decent TJ start at $10k and go up from there. As a professional auto tech I’ll charge more labor for a rust bucket because I know it’s going to take me more time due to broken bolts and rust repair.

I paid $13000 for mine with less than 25,000 on the odometer and the frame still has the stickers on it from the factory. I looked for about 6 months to find it.

I would not trust any of the jockeys from the south selling Jeeps. You find me the Jeeps that you are interested in and send me the VIN# and I can tell what past history that is available. Remember, Carfax only tells you what has been reported, not necessarily what all that’s happened to vehicle - if no police report, it’s not on Carfax."
Honestly to me this sounds like he just doesn't want you to spend you money anywhere other than with him.

" I would not trust any of the jockeys from the south selling Jeeps."
I personally would never trust any salesman that makes that kind of statement.

"I have a salesman who owns and drives a TJ Jeep."
Just because a salesman owns a TJ doesn't mean he knows what and what not to look for.

I'm glad you're not taking his advice, you should have no problem finding what you're looking for. It may take time to find something clean in your price range but it'll be worth it!!!

Good luck!!