Buying my first jeep

FYI, it's really hard to tell from those photos, but it looks like it has a khaki soft top. Replacements in khaki (windows, upper door skins) are almost impossible to find anymore in khaki fabric.

Reactions: StG58
I'm curious to see the frame... It looks like there's some rust on some of the bolts, which makes me wonder about the underside.

I looked at the underside and didn't see anything I was actually surprised that it looks all around pretty solid

Ahhh, that's good then. It must just be those few bolts on the rear. Replace them with some galvanized bolts and you'll be good!

Hope it's a five speed.

The four bangers are pretty good rigs. Keep it light and gear it right. You'll get a lot out of it.

Last edited:
Buying my first jeep and ive found a 1997 TJ runs great interior is in good condition, 146km, 4cyl totally stock. Im wanting to tow a small boat and im curious if this has enough power to do so? Also looking for opinions if its worth the price as I don't know much about Jeeps and their value. Its $5500 CAD and the seller is not really wanting to budge on the price too much. Let me know your thoughts, Thanks.
The 4 cylinder is only rated to tow 1000#. So like a 14'aluminum with a 9.9 on a tiny trailer.

Reactions: StG58
The cat likes it.
View attachment 19457
Or is intrigued by the orange seats...

I think cats are in love with TJs. I live in an apartment and there are 4 stray cats that someone is feeding that regularly sleep on my hood. I suspect they like the relatively flat surface area and the engine takes a longer time to cool down than newer cars, so it's a nice warm little spot to curl up. I have also come out to find them cleaning themselves sitting on the fender. Of the numerous cars parked in the garage, they only sleep on mine. Won't touch the JKs, which is funny to me. Poor JKs don't get any cat love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58 and Dani
Congrats! I also have a 97 stock TJ. I paid $5500 for it and it had 135k miles. It is a 4 cylinder and I would not recommend trailering. I have had mine for 6 months and love driving it daily. I live in Texas and it is hot but it's not a problem. Have fun!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Forgot to include the pic!
cc4a24a33d10f017110c423eebbd3090.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk