BYB33's 2006 rubicon rebirth

Byb33

Supporting Member
Making some progress on the wrecked rubicon I drug home last year.

20210404_144607.jpg

20210404_154338.jpg

20210405_231022.jpg

20210405_231033.jpg

20210414_162246.jpg

20210506_203628.jpg

20210531_174614.jpg

Resized_20210406_182537.jpeg

Very cool, can you talk us through the rear stretch you did?
So the stretch is gone now. It was do to the fact that I got a great deal on a rough country long arm kit, but knew that the geometry is not so good with the bolt in long arm kit, so I did a little research and found under cover fab made weld in geometry correction brackets that would make the geometry a bit better than the rough country setup so, I went this route. The UCF brackets make the rear more of a mid arm kit so the rear control arms needed to be cut 5" shorter to recenter the axle in the wheel opening.
I wanted to get it all mocked up before cutting the arms just to make sure I got it right. I also did an artek coil spring relocation kit to address the coil spring bow issue as well. I have had many different plans for this build over the past year and a half, from wild to crazy. In the end I figured building it to a nice street/offroad spec would be what I wanted to do to preserve a rig that I wanted for 18 years. I will buy a beat up base TJ after this one is done to build a trail pig out of.
I just dont have the heart to go too crazy with this one.

Do you know about how much you stretched the rear? To my untrained eye I'd guess between 3-4"? What is your WB at now?
Did you move the front forward any? Any plans to outboard the rear shocks?

Great work and it's nice seeing it being saved.

Reactions: Byb33
Do you know about how much you stretched the rear? To my untrained eye I'd guess between 3-4"? What is your WB at now?
Did you move the front forward any? Any plans to outboard the rear shocks?

Great work and it's nice seeing it being saved.
I would say with full weight on the rig "IE" (engine trans tcase etc) it would have been about 4". I cut 5 inches out of each rear arm to get it back to factory wheel base. I just dont have the heart to cut this 80k 06 rubicon up like that. I have decided this one will be a clean driver/trail rig and I will build another beat up base TJ for hard core wheeling that I wont feel bad about cuting up and beating on hard when this build is done.
Yes I will be out boarding the shocks and as I have read that will be done last so I have all the weight on the rig so I can cycle the suspension and get my placement right the first time with out guess work.
To be honest this setup if you left the arms the length they come and doing the UCF geometry corection mounts would be an easy stretch set up when done with a frame back half kit.

This was in march. I rebuilt the rear axle with new revolution shafts and new bearings and new ebc brakes.
Arb diff covers for the front and rear too. No pics of the front but it got new brakes, unit bearings, knuckles, spicer ball joints and, im still waiting for my rcv axle shafts.

20210320_192004.jpg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep