"Cage" question?

Jay in Gray

Hello everyone! I am a first time Jeep owner and look forward to all the experiences that are offered by owning a TJ and the insight I will gain from all the knowledgeable jeep owners here.
I will do my best to conduct my own research before I flood the forums with questions but I do have one for y'all today.

When I purchased the jeep it had a "cage" (this is the term I saw the most) above the soft top. It was bolted at the base of the windshield posts and went over the soft top and attached to the tail light brackets.
It look as if it was an older model cage compared to what is on the market now (i.e the bars at the top do not cross or make an "X" like some of the new ones I saw. They basically just go straight back.)

Can anyone provide any insight? I am thinking of selling it but not sure what constitutes a fair price.

Thanks all !

Cage above the soft top? I think what you are actually seeing is a luggage carrier aka overhead rack.

Cage normally refers to a large diameter tubed rollover cage which is to protect the occupants in the event of a rollover which is located underneath the soft top.

Thanks guys, pictures will explain things a lot better than I can! Working on getting them uploaded now. Jerry, it may be a luggage carrier instead of a cage but it is definitely above the soft top.

IMG_5435.JPG IMG_5436.JPG IMG_5437.JPG

Yep, that's a safari rack (or whatever they call them). You can put luggage on top of it, or whatever else.

Personally I don't see a need for one, I'd rather have a small trailer or cargo rack before a Safari rack. It kind makes putting the top on-or-off a pain in the butt!

I agree Chris. Probably going to just sell this one and then kick myself 22 years down the road when I will need it ! lol.

Mine came with one and I sold it.

I got a trailer hitch mounted cargo rack to replace it, and that has served us wonderfully, even on long road trips with luggage.

What do you think is a fair price? I am going to sell mine and I am thinking I will list for $50.00

I don't think you'll have a hard time selling it for that at all.

I think you could post it for $100, but you might be sitting on it a little while. At $50 it should sell no problem, and I wouldn't budge whatsoever on that price.

Mine had one when I bought my TJ, it was the first thing to go. I ended up swapping it for some other Jeep parts at a used car dealer that specializes in Jeeps. You might offer that option in a Craigslist ad if you need something for yours.