California - Banks Ram Air Carb Number location?

tomtaylz

LJR Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay first off not intending a debate on cold-air intake systems. I have the stock air intake ordered but it’ll be a week before it gets here.

Right now my new Jeep has a banks ram-air cold air intake. I went to get it smogged yesterday to get tags and was told that it would fail visual inspection as the intake is after market. On banks website it mentions is carb compliant, I can’t find a number on the thing itself. https://shop.bankspower.com/i-518-4...|make=JEEP||model=WRANGLER||submodel=4.0L GAS

For any other Californians who might have through this is the number alone enough?

I just went through it. The number is not enough. You have to contact the manufacturer to get a replacement sticker. I just went through this with AEM.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Guess we’ll see what gets here first. The sticker or the stock system. Until then i can’t take my LJ anywhere :(.

Sure you can....Just get a TOP ( Temporary Operating Permit) from DMV. It's the red sticker with a white # on it that goes in your windshield. As long as you pay all the fees and just need a little time to get it smogged, they'll give you one for a month or so so you can drive it around.

F13900D2-3E5E-4A3A-B4FF-3D3F9368BC22.jpeg
This is the sticker on mine.

Sure you can....Just get a TOP ( Temporary Operating Permit) from DMV. It's the red sticker with a white # on it that goes in your windshield. As long as you pay all the fees and just need a little time to get it smogged, they'll give you one for a month or so so you can drive it around.

Good call out. I just went to the dmv out near Alex’s and got in and out in 15 mins with the temp operating permit. Fastest dmv transaction of my life. I’m amazed.

Reactions: Daryl and lowranger
It might depend on who is doing the inspection, I just had my tj smogged with the new star inspection rules. The first shop I went to couldn’t do the inspection because they didn’t have the number for my ram air and didn’t see the sticker on the hood sitting in plain sight. The next shop I went to found the sticker and with the number was able to smog my jeep. Both shops were a little confused over the rules, but they were more concerned about having the number not the sticker, the first shop commented he couldn’t do the inspection because he didn’t have the info to look up the compliance numbers, so? Once the inspection shop knew what number to assign to my banks ram air it passed with no problem, you might look around until you find an inspection shop that will test with having just the number.

It might depend on who is doing the inspection, I just had my tj smogged with the new star inspection rules. The first shop I went to couldn’t do the inspection because they didn’t have the number for my ram air and didn’t see the sticker on the hood sitting in plain sight. The next shop I went to found the sticker and with the number was able to smog my jeep. Both shops were a little confused over the rules, but they were more concerned about having the number not the sticker, the first shop commented he couldn’t do the inspection because he didn’t have the info to look up the compliance numbers, so? Once the inspection shop knew what number to assign to my banks ram air it passed with no problem, you might look around until you find an inspection shop that will test with having just the number.

Yeah I called around 4 or 5 and they all said they needed the sticker and the certificate. I have a stock air box coming and have until the end of the month to get it smogged with the moving permit so at least there’s that.

Certificate? Geez I hate California regulations, I don’t have any certificate I guess I was lucky my shop did the inspection. Next time I’m stuck with the enhanced star inspection I’ll have to order the stock intake, I’m not really fond of the banks system the PO put on the tj anyway.

Certificate? Geez I hate California regulations, I don’t have any certificate I guess I was lucky my shop did the inspection. Next time I’m stuck with the enhanced star inspection I’ll have to order the stock intake, I’m not really fond of the banks system the PO put on the tj anyway.

Luckily that’s online I can print it out but yeah it’s annoying hah.

So glad I don't have to deal with any of that nonsense in Michigan. Road salt, sure, but smog inspections? No effing way!
:) Road salt ate my first Jeep in Illinois - I'll put up with smog regs any day over that.

@tomtaylz I have a stock system you can borrow if you need to get smogged. I live in Boulder Creek and work in San Jose.

I can be of no help at all. I would however like to just add a big, "Screw you California!", just because I can ;)

Reactions: WWII Jeeper
Different shops have different levels of expertise. Last time I got mine smogged, the kid running it didn't know what he was doing. First he said he couldn't smog it because it had non stock items on it. When I showed him the Banks stickers, he said he had to call his dad (who apparently owns the shop). I explained to him how to look up the CARB numbers to verify that it was certified. Then he wouldn't smog it until I physically attached the stickers to the vehicle (I keep them in the glove box in case I sell the stuff.) So I taped them down with clear packing tape, passed smog, then cut them off and put them back in the glove box. If it hadn't been a Sunday when almost no smog shops were open, I would have gone somewhere else.

So glad I don't have to deal with any of that nonsense in Michigan. Road salt, sure, but smog inspections? No effing way!
I have to put up with smog tests every two years in California and I'd definitely rather have that to contend with than road salt. :)

:) Road salt ate my first Jeep in Illinois - I'll put up with smog regs any day over that.

@tomtaylz I have a stock system you can borrow if you need to get smogged. I live in Boulder Creek and work in San Jose.

Got it all taken care of, this was a few months ago and just put in a stock system. Actually made money selling the Banks over what the stock cost me so that's a pro.

Reactions: RubiconMike