California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks Starting Next Week

If your car isn't running the factory software or a tune approved by the California Air Resources Board, you'll fail the test.
It's really a non-issue. According to the article you just flash to factory tune, test/pass and flash to your improved tune.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
It’ll definitely be a problem for many though
I don't know that I have any sympathy for them. They know the rules, they know they have to get a smog test every two years. There is no reason for them to back themselves into that corner. I don't know of any tune that will pass smog anyway. We've always known that you run whatever you want, take it back to stock a week or so before the test, and then download it after. That has been part and parcel of running a non stock tune forever in this part of the world.

If you're dumb enough to leave the tune in the PCM, you deserve the grief.

I don't know that I have any sympathy for them. They know the rules, they know they have to get a smog test every two years. There is no reason for them to back themselves into that corner. I don't know of any tune that will pass smog anyway. We've always known that you run whatever you want, take it back to stock a week or so before the test, and then download it after. That has been part and parcel of running a non stock tune forever in this part of the world.

If you're dumb enough to leave the tune in the PCM, you deserve the grief.
Agree, should be interesting to watch unfold.

Reactions: Rick Flair
About 15 years ago I purchased a '06 Acura RSX-S that I modified with a racing aluminum intake manifold, racing header and bored throttle body along with running KPRO and could pass SMOG in CA as long they missed the hidden racing header.
That link above is one of the many reasons why I moved from COMMIFORNIA....

Reactions: mrjp and Rick Flair
About 15 years ago I purchased a '06 Acura RSX-S that I modified with a racing aluminum intake manifold, racing header and bored throttle body along with running KPRO and could pass SMOG in CA as long they missed the hidden racing header.

Yes same here I worked in performance aftermarket and I worked with the ARB for intakes and things like that. You can get a tune cleaner burn with tunes but they go with what the car company is allowed tunning outside the parameters its not accepted. Its easier for newer cars to flash back to stock for smog

Reactions: mrjp
Based on my somewhat limited knowledge after working with Superchips lead Ford tuning guru for several years, I doubt that there is any chance that California or any other state for that matter can detect aftermarket tuning on such a wide scale. There are literally thousands of variables they would have to detect.

Based on my somewhat limited knowledge after working with Superchips lead Ford tuning guru for several years, I doubt that there is any chance that California or any other state for that matter can detect aftermarket tuning on such a wide scale. There are literally thousands of variables they would have to detect.
One of my vehicles runs a tune just to keep the traction control shut off by default. Would they care?

Reactions: Rick Flair
But you chose Floriduh...

• Haha
Reactions: SoCalGlide
YES I DID.... (y)
No ridiculous GUN or SMOG laws, lower gas prices, lower housing prices, lower property taxes, and a Governor that can actually think and is not related to Pelosi.... :ROFLMAO:
The cars that are allowed on the road here are ridiculous. I am surprised at that half of them can drive. Florida has become the Wild West of the road. Duhsantis is debatable about the thinking.

• Dislike
Reactions: L J
This is perhaps just the beginning, How long before the party in power decides to decree that the USA should be a better
world citizen. Thus vehicles must remain factory stock to achieve the highest MPG to combat climate change.
Of course you can't Mod. suspension or change ride height due to pedestrian collision requirements, forget having tires that don't have full coverage, you must minimize ejecting dirt into the atmosphere, ( better forget that front highline fender idea buddy ) . And
the most important thing to remember is all this is , " For the Children ".
Of course this is only temporary until the only public transportation mandate.
The Camel's nose is into the tent.

Some of this is tongue in cheek, but the more I reflect on the possibilities , the more I cherish our continuing eroding freedoms.

Reactions: Zorba
Going to suck for the forced induction guys or guys with some pretty radical internal changes that require a tune to run.

But then again, it’s CA so shouldn’t shock people this would happen.

Reactions: mrjp