Call me crazy—I'm downsizing

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
04 TJR that is absolutely trash to drive. 35s, 5 speed, 4" lift installed in 2006, 4.10s, sloppy worn out everything.

Bought it for strictly trail riding 18 months ago. Have gone on rides a total of 3 times...

So, F it. I want to drive it, be comfortable and still be able to hit some mild stuff if I want.

Plan is now 31s, 1" spring, 1.25" body (recently installed a savvy), full adjustable control arms and a TT.

And btw... it is getting LS swapped with an auto this winter during this overhaul. 🙃

My question is, would I be better off with a 2" spring over a 1" spring? Any thing else I should do while I have it stripped down to the frame? Also, am I crazy?

Think about going to 32’s...I‘ve put a bunch of miles on 32’s with a 2” lift. Mild rocks and lots of 2-tracks and logging roads in Upper Michigan. With 4.10’s you’ll be fine, I am still running stock 3.73’s without a problem.

Reactions: T_Hase89
Think about going to 32’s...I‘ve put a bunch of miles on 32’s with a 2” lift. Mild rocks and lots of 2-tracks and logging roads in Upper Michigan. With 4.10’s you’ll be fine, I am still running stock 3.73’s without a problem.

I've looked a pics of both, and think they both look good. Probably will come down to what I can find the best prices tire on. End of the day, a well balanced, no shortcut reliable TJ is what I want. With a V8.

I'm not a pro like Blaine.

I'm just a guy that makes a living with his hands and has got a little bit of mechanical aptitude. Maybe less some days than others.

35" tires are heavy. They push a TJ around.

If I roll a 31 at you you can stop it. A 35 might knock you down.

They break axles.

They stress unit bearings.

I personally believe they generate forces in motion the control arm and track bar bushings struggle to handle, let alone the steering gearbox and linkage .

Am I saying it's dumb to run them? No , not at all, it's just a big change in scale from the vehicles design. A lot needs to happen to give you the drive and durability you may want.

A 33" tire is the outer limit for me, and the smaller the tire, the better it all works.

Even when you look at gearing for 35" tires, there is more torque needed to handle getting the tire rolling that gearing really doesn't give.

It's not a lost cause, it's just something I feel people need to reconsider if they don't need the added ground clearance. Read that twice.

We had a young girl on here recently that wanted 35's on a 4 cylinder.
What eventually came out was she was working her butt off and her boyfriend was trying to help her spend it. I hope he doesn't talk her into anything else...like marriage.

I have noticed a general forum consciousness toward less lift and better handling for about 2 years.

I believe that common sense tends to rule (eventually) and the ultimate result of decisions tends to educate us as humans.

I have 4" on 33" and 2.5" on 32"...I can't tell any difference on the trail, and the difference getting in and out of each all day is significant.

The 2.5" gets it all done for thousands less, and people say the same thing about both of them- hey man, nice jeep.

Works for me.

With the ls power I would stay with 33s as they are a great all around tire for a tj in my opinion. Go for a 2” spring and shock lift with a 1” body lift. Should be great power with the ls and 5spd even with it still being 4:10s... ideal with a 4.0 and 5spd is 4:56 for 33s

2" spring :cool:
I did almost that same thing, except with a 3" spring. for 31s I'd just do 2 in and the rest of your plan sounds good

'99 TJ, 3" spring lift, 33" tires, 4.56 gears. Other than that it's stock. It's a daily driver and has done everything I want offroad so far. Drives great. No need to go to a 31's in my opinion.

I'm not a pro like Blaine.

I'm just a guy that makes a living with his hands and has got a little bit of mechanical aptitude. Maybe less some days than others.

35" tires are heavy. They push a TJ around.

If I roll a 31 at you you can stop it. A 35 might knock you down.

They break axles.

They stress unit bearings.

I personally believe they generate forces in motion the control arm and track bar bushings struggle to handle, let alone the steering gearbox and linkage .

Am I saying it's dumb to run them? No , not at all, it's just a big change in scale from the vehicles design. A lot needs to happen to give you the drive and durability you may want.

A 33" tire is the outer limit for me, and the smaller the tire, the better it all works.

Even when you look at gearing for 35" tires, there is more torque needed to handle getting the tire rolling that gearing really doesn't give.

It's not a lost cause, it's just something I feel people need to reconsider if they don't need the added ground clearance. Read that twice.

We had a young girl on here recently that wanted 35's on a 4 cylinder.
What eventually came out was she was working her butt off and her boyfriend was trying to help her spend it. I hope he doesn't talk her into anything else...like marriage.

I have noticed a general forum consciousness toward less lift and better handling for about 2 years.

I believe that common sense tends to rule (eventually) and the ultimate result of decisions tends to educate us as humans.

I have 4" on 33" and 2.5" on 32"...I can't tell any difference on the trail, and the difference getting in and out of each all day is significant.

The 2.5" gets it all done for thousands less, and people say the same thing about both of them- hey man, nice jeep.

Works for me.

35s for sure have a cool factor on a TJ. And it’s done well off road the few times I’ve taken it. But I don’t really enjoy driving it. Yes I could drop the 8-10K and fix everything to run 35s well and keep it reliable, but going small again sounds fun.

Trails I run, 35s get you through. The next level trails my buddies run, can’t do it without 40s. And body damage. I don’t want to do that to my TJ so go smaller, have more of a challenge on the trails and can zip around the country roads without worry.

I’ve done big tires for years. 37s JKUR, 36 TSLs on a CJ5 and on and on. Time to do it different.

2.5” include body? I have no issues with 31 or 32s. Bonus, don’t need to regear from the 4.10s like I should have already done for the 35s lol

Reactions: AndyG
Sadly I bought this TJ with all the work done without knowing anything about TJs. If I knew what I know now, I would of started with something much different (stock)

Reactions: Vasq
Sadly I bought this TJ with all the work done without knowing anything about TJs. If I knew what I know now, I would of started with something much different (stock)

You can always sell it and buy one that's stock.

Seems like going from 35's to 31's is a big drop. I would try 32's or 33's, but it's your Jeep.

Not sure if you're running MT or AT tires. If you want better handling on the road, probably best to go with an AT.

Reactions: PJOJeep
04 TJR that is absolutely trash to drive. 35s, 5 speed, 4" lift installed in 2006, 4.10s, sloppy worn out everything.

Bought it for strictly trail riding 18 months ago. Have gone on rides a total of 3 times...

So, F it. I want to drive it, be comfortable and still be able to hit some mild stuff if I want.

Plan is now 31s, 1" spring, 1.25" body (recently installed a savvy), full adjustable control arms and a TT.

And btw... it is getting LS swapped with an auto this winter during this overhaul. 🙃

My question is, would I be better off with a 2" spring over a 1" spring? Any thing else I should do while I have it stripped down to the frame? Also, am I crazy?
If you're crazy then you have company. I did that exact same thing as you are contemplating (less the engine swap) , however, with different otherwise comparably equipped TJs: front & rear lockers, tummy tuck, skidplates, etc. Except for the Hammers, the 31s went everywhere else including the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim multiple times.

The TJ on 31s require more care in picking the line offroad which is both fun and frustrating, however,it is far more enjoyable to drive it on the street.

You can always sell it and buy one that's stock.

Seems like going from 35's to 31's is a big drop. I would try 32's or 33's, but it's your Jeep.

Not sure if you're running MT or AT tires. If you want better handling on the road, probably best to go with an AT.

IT crossed my mind to sell, but I’m in this thing stupid cheap ($5600) and it’s rust free. Finding that combination in my area is impossible. Not scared to travel for one as I did for this one, but clean stock R’s are going for more than what I am willing to pay. I am removing the body, can build it how I want and come out money ahead with the only blemish being 209k on the clock instead of some lower mileage one.

Reactions: suicideking
FWIW I have a TJ on a 2" lift with 31s and love it. My last TJ was on a 2" lift, 1" body lift, and 32s, and I also loved that. You're going to need the body lift to help make the LS fit anyways, so if it were me, I would add 2" springs and go 32s. That combo will be easy to set up and tune (the body lift combo will also help reduce bump stop) and will ride great with some good Rancho shocks. My last one had JKR takeoff shocks and honestly I liked those better than my current Ranchos. That setup took me anywhere I wanted to go.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Apparently the lift wasn't done right if it's that bad. You need at least 4.88 gears with 35s and a 5-6 speed. 5.38 or deeper for the 42rle. My Jeep rides and handles much better than it did stock with 31s.
Rubi tinted.jpg

RUBI 5 15 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
When I bought my TJ it started out with a 4in RC lift ,35’s, and a 4 banger. It couldn’t get out of its own way. It very rarely saw third gear around tow.

The PO gave me the original wheels with 31’s mounted on them. I put them on in October of last year and never went back.

In July I removed the 4in lift in favor of a 2 in lift and Rancho shocks.

I couldn’t be happier!

When I bought my TJ it started out with a 4in RC lift ,35’s, and a 4 banger. It couldn’t get out of its own way. It very rarely saw third gear around tow.

The PO gave me the original wheels with 31’s mounted on them. I put them on in October of last year and never went back.

In July I removed the 4in lift in favor of a 2 in lift and Rancho shocks.

I couldn’t be happier!
You couldn't regear a 2.5L deep enough to pull 35s IMO.

I don’t think that’s crazy at all! They drive better mostly stock with 31s.

I would go with a 1” H&R spring.

I'm with Chris. Run a 1" H&R spring, 1" BL, a 31" tire and drive it for fun. I've run everything from stock to 35" tires and my absolute favorite is a TJ on 31" tires.

Sure they look cool on 33s or 35s, but the driving experience isn't the same. Can it be? Sure, but you have to spend a ton of money with someone that knows what they're doing. Below is a TJ I built last year. The first picture is on a 4" lift and 33" tires. It drove decent, but lost the zippiness I'd grown accustomed to in a TJ.

Picture #2 shows it when I lightened it, took it back to 1" H&R springs, with a 1" BL and 31" tires. It was much, much more fun to drive in this form. If I ever get another TJ, as a driver, 31" tires and a lightweight build will be the standard.

The good news is you can still wheel them like this. You just need to tuck the skids and focus on tire placement.

N51toUM.jpg

ukJzRWJ.jpg

+1 on 1" H&R springs

I have 1" springs and 31s on mine, rides great. My work commute is just over 100 miles a day, mostly highway. Having tight steering will also help a lot. My bet is the 35s wore out everything in the steering, and the lift probably wasn't done properly.

I do think it might be better to sell and buy a stock one. Yeah you got it for cheap, but it won't be cheap to replace every single steering and suspension component along with dropping in an LS, which is $$$ by itself.