Calling all 1998 Automatics

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
I would love to see a picture of your transmission dipstick tube, specifically where it enters the transmission case. And also if you have a 6cyl or a 4cyl. I'm trying to determine if I've identified a quirk of the 97 or what.

Also please include your build date. Maybe we can zero in on the date this changed.

Somthing like this:

1704735307538.png

Last edited:
One data point in, I'm leaning toward this being a new found quirk of the 97.

Reactions: CMBD
I've a '98 4.0 Auto from over the pond, however i've no idea where the dipstick tube is! Give me an idea of where to look and i'll add a data point.

Under the jeep, passenger side. Find the transmission pan, and then find the front passenger side corner of the pan. Now go up a few inches from there to find a half inch or so diameter tube coming out that goes up into the engine compartment.

It’s a little tricky to photograph, the exhaust & frame are in the way, you really have to be under the jeep to see it, and then the photo needs to be looking down on it to show what I want to see.

I've a '98 4.0 Auto from over the pond, however i've no idea where the dipstick tube is! Give me an idea of where to look and i'll add a data point.
Looking at your Jeep from the front, the dipstick tube for your transmission comes out from underneath the firewall on the left side.