Came close to totaling the jeep

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
I was flat towing my jeep following a piece of farm equipment doing 20 MPH on a 50 MPH two lane road for about 2 miles and could not pass because of a double yellow and on coming traffic. When I finally got a chance I could see about a mile up ahead and no on coming vehicles, and could see a Chevy Tahoe in front of the farm equipment. Since there was plenty of room between the farm equipment and the Tahoe I pulled out to pass got on the gas ( I did cross over the double yellow ) I started passing the equipment no problem.

Then all of a sudden out of the blue the Tahoe comes to almost a stop and makes a U-turn in the middle of the road also crossing the double yellow. All I could see was me slamming into the rear side of the Tahoe as he was now sitting sideways in the middle of the road. I slammed on my brakes and swerved to the right to miss him. My brakes locked up I then had to swerve to the left to keep from going into a ditch on the right side of the road. The Tahoe stepped on the gas to get out of my way I all I could see was my jeep jack knifed out my window. I got it under control without hitting anything. When I pulled over I looked things over and found the jeep's tow bar was bent from hitting the rear of my Yukon. So I know need a new bumper and a two bar.

Any recommendations on a good quality tow bar ?

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4946 (1).jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

I like your Jeep. That story made me all nervous .

If it was mine. I would replace the bumper also. There is no way of knowing if you stressed the attachment points. That looks like a lot of side force applied to the d ring points.

Good job keeping it under some kind of control.
I havent flat towed more than about 100 miles & only at less than 50 or so mph so I can't give much advice. ...... but be really patient.

If it was mine. I would replace the bumper also. There is no way of knowing if you stressed the attachment points. That looks like a lot of side force applied to the d ring points.
They are fine. The rectangular tube on the tow bar is very light and easily bent. And there is a way to know. Just look at them. If they are not dislocated, bent, or cracked at the welds, there is no damage to them.

I use a roadmaster tow bar and a ready brake system. I tow a lot of miles all year long. If I did not have the braking setup for the jeep I would not feel comfortable.

WOW, sorry about the damage but glad you made it through it safely!!!! Not real heavy duty 5000# Curt is just over a $bill.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/C...SAF6b7M6akhvxCbTwjbSTGYtYreSB7pRoCNhQQAvD_BwE
It looks like a decent tow bar

Thanks

I think my bumper is ok it is very stout at those points

IMG_2840.JPG

Reactions: reddvltj