Camping tent suggestions?

@Chris - this thread pre-dates the Off-Topic/Camping forum, but might benefit from a move there…

Reactions: Chris
Camping in Montana with the overland trailer I built.

20230614_155313.jpg

camptrip2023.jpg

Reactions: zebra12
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new tent and hoping for se advice... There seem to be a ton of very good 2-3 person options from big Agnes, marmot, rei, etc... However they're all designed for backpacking and from what Ive seen of them at rei they appear to make some serious compromises in durability to get very low weights. On the opposite side are hilleberg and redverz but they look like they'd be hotter than hell during the summer, not to mention they're very expensive. What's the best option? Thanks in advance for the advice.

You might check out the tent offerings from ALPS Mountaineering. They are at a lower price point than Big Agnes, Marmot, etc., not as light, but durable and full featured. Many youth organizations use them because they are a good value and stand up to the abuse kids can inflict.

At the other end of the spectrum are canvas tents such as those offered by Kodiak Canvas and Springbar. Heavy, but will last forever.

I have two Kodiak Canvas tents, a solo "bivy" tent with built-in mattress and a 6.5 x 8.5 model.
I also have an ALPS Mountaineering 2-person tent.

All have served me well.

1697817658367.png

1697817751396.png

1697817860541.png

Reactions: MichaelGH
FWIW, I’ve never had an issue with REI branded products. The Grey tent I got when I was 18 in 2000. In this pic is has me and my 5yr old. The yellow behind it, I got as a wedding present ~2006 and has my two daughters. +/- my specific needs, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy REI branded.

1697844837929.jpeg

Reactions: rasband and PRNDL