Can a 2005-2006 2.4 catalytic converter be used on a 2003 2.4?

chef_vader

Had a hard to searching for this topic since the search function will not let me invoice "2.4".

I need to replace the catalytic converter on my 03 2.4l. I have found what I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if I can use the catalytic converter from an 05-06. Thwybare slighly different. They look like they make the same run, same manifold for all four years of that motor, cats in different spots, but the price is around $200 for the 05-06, and over $400 for the 03-04.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or any experience with this? Would be nice to save a couple hundred dollars.

I have no real world experience with this and doubt many well. However, anything can be made to work. The cats themselves would work fine, you just may or may not have to end up bending some of the piping depending on whether or not it fits.

I don't see what they could have possibly changed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 05-06 cat personally.

Thanks for the response Chris. I guess I'm going to go for is and see what happens. Maybe I'll just check the return policy of wherever I order from to be safe. I have aceacc to metal fabrication tools, just didn't want to get everything torn apart only for the whole system to put me in lean mode or something goofy like that. Strange enough, on the 03, there is a mini cat, and a larger cat with the 02 sensor in between. I actually cut the large one out and temporarily welded a cheap muffler on to get me by but it sounds like crap. The 05 cat has one O2 sensor IN the one and only cat in that system. I guess we'll see and I'll report back to help anyone else with this goofy motor out.

Thanks for changing my title also. Makes way for sense.

Thanks for the response Chris. I guess I'm going to go for is and see what happens. Maybe I'll just check the return policy of wherever I order from to be safe. I have aceacc to metal fabrication tools, just didn't want to get everything torn apart only for the whole system to put me in lean mode or something goofy like that. Strange enough, on the 03, there is a mini cat, and a larger cat with the 02 sensor in between. I actually cut the large one out and temporarily welded a cheap muffler on to get me by but it sounds like crap. The 05 cat has one O2 sensor IN the one and only cat in that system. I guess we'll see and I'll report back to help anyone else with this goofy motor out.

Thanks for changing my title also. Makes way for sense.

Did this work for you?