Can a vacuum actuator be backwards?

GaTechTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finally got some time to trace down what was going on with my AC/Heat system. The issue is heat doesn't come out at the floor as well as it should, and AC doesn't come out of the face vents as well as it should. This lead me to suspect the floor vent door and actuator weren't working properly.

First a I mapped the position of each actuator at the different selector switch positions. They all are moving at the appropriate times, so I think this rules out a vacuum leak. (Here is the matrix of how the actuators were in the different positions.)
20200625_104116.jpg

Then after reading several forums, I concluded that maybe the door lever was broken. I unhooked the actuator from the arm so I could move it by hand. The arm is attached to the door still. As you can see in the photos below, the position of the arm moves the door.
20200627_140051.jpg20200627_140043.jpg

It is backwards to what is should be according to my matrics above. When the actuator is extended, that closes the door to floor. When the actuator is retracted, that opens the door to the floor. This is backwards of what I was seeing when I checked the positions. It is the exact opposite of what it should be for column B.

Is it possible the previous owner installed the wrong floor vent actuator? If so, what is the correct actuator?

The part numbers in the parts manual for vacuum actuators are 4864 994, 4864 995, and 4864 996. I don't know which goes to what. The number on the side of the current actuator is 0681122, but that doesn't pull up anything when I google it. (There are only 3 part numbers and 4 actuators, so one is used twice. Again, I don't know which one.)

So.....since no one responded to this question, I kept on picking at it. Here's what I found out. The actuator for the recirculation and the floor vent door is the same part number. They are both normally extended, and vacuum to retract.

The floor vent actuator was working correctly. What wasn't working correctly is when vacuum was being applied to it. The problem was the selector switch. I ordered a new one from Amazon & swapped it out. Now the floor vent door is working like it should instead of backwards.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

20200630_172223.jpg

Hey man! Nice findings! Im wondering if you can help. I bought the jeep used and the HVAC controls werent working. I have an 03, but they got controls from an 05. Im having a weird issue where the controls are backwards?!?!? So like when I select body, the system goes to the floor. When I select floor, the system goes to body. Same with like defrost and A/C. Have an idea? Thanks

That sounds similar to what mine was doing. The vacuum selector switch (far right on the console) was worn out and leaking. I purchased a new one from Amazon. No issues since.