Can anyone identify this wheel?

LD68

Supporting Member
Does anyone know what type of wheel this is? Not having any luck finding them online.

wheels.jpg

Thank you sir. Not sure if Tennessee has laws against beadlocks on the road, will have to check. Really like the look of these, most wheels I find now days look like they belong on a Caddy instead of a Jeep.

There are no DOT laws against beadlocks. If you like them and can pony up the $$, then let er rip.

I wouldnt hesitate one second to run beadlocks on public roadways

Reactions: jjvw and LD68
There are no DOT laws against beadlocks. If you like them and can pony up the $$, then let er rip.

I wouldnt hesitate one second to run beadlocks on public roadways

That is funny that you say that, because growing up in WA, I was always told, even by 4x4 shops that they were illegal, but just to see if you were right, not that I am checking up on you, but because I always believed they were illegal and never pushed the issue, I read a lot of controversy, but I couldn't find any specific law stating that beadlocks are actually illegal.

I read that states that have inspections have failed the inspection because of beadlocks, but still that was just a post from some rando. Luckily for me I have only lived in two states WA and AZ and neither have inspection centers, except for emission inspections.

The closest real law I found was in WA that stated that nothing should protrude from the sides of the car from looking down from above. And it was specific to lug nuts, hubcaps, and disks or bolts. So technically if the bolts that hold on your bead stick out of your fender it is illegal, but all of my Jeeps the tires protruded out the side of my vehicle which meant so did my rim, so technically I was illegal, but I was never hassled about it.

So as far as I can tell you are right, it doesn't seem to be illegal, except for technicalities like if the bolts stick out further than the fenders.

I have also read that beadlocks are really hard to balance, so most people don't which could be dangerous while driving on the road.

I was just intrigued because I have grown up believing they are illegal, and the factually aren't. At least in the states I live(D) in.

Now I am going to have to research Santa Claus!

Reactions: tworley
The issue with some beadlock wheels is that they are not DOT compliant and cast in China. Making them "unsafe" for you, and others on the road. I am not well versed in the process, or if there is one. To my knwledge there is no DOT reg on wheels, only on tires. However, all TrailReady beadlock wheels are DOT compliant, they claim. However, TrailReady beadlocked wheels are all marked as “intended for off road use”.

Last edited:
Also note that TrailReady is one of the few brands that makes a bead lock wheel that is still cast in USA. A real rarity these days. Even Walker Evans castings are made in China now...

Everything seems to be made in China, Korea....these days.
I can see where the beadlock would create a balance issue.
Probably going to stick with the Stock MOABs for road use and save for a pair of beadlock and aggressive tires for when I want to tackle the rough trails. If I run the MOABs will I need a spacer? Plan to run the DPG Ultimate lift for a total of 3.75" lift, 285/75-16 tires.

DOT this and DOT that means nothing. Barely anything on my Jeep is DOT compliant. My Jeep doesn't pass PA inspection unless I change the tires out the day of the inspection. I've never been bothered by any cops because of my tires. I'd also bet that most cops don't know what beadlocks are.

The whole argument about beadlocks being legal or DOT compliant isn't useful. Run them on the street. No one will ever bother you about them. If you have to have it inspected, keep your old wheels and tires and swap them out to get it inspected. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it passed even with the beadlocks on the Jeep.

Probably going to stick with the Stock MOABs for road use and save for a pair of beadlock and aggressive tires for when I want to tackle the rough trails. If I run the MOABs will I need a spacer? Plan to run the DPG Ultimate lift for a total of 3.75" lift, 285/75-16 tires.

If you are only running 33's I would just stick with one set of non-beadlock wheels. There isn't a huge need for beadlocks when running 33's. If you go up to 35's then you might find them useful if you are really pushing the Jeep.

Reactions: LD68
A couple of brands (only two that I know of) are still 100% cast here in the USA.

I would also like to add that beadlocks are much heavier than factory wheels. More weight means more rolling resistance, requiring more power and adding a lot more stress (much more steering resistance) to the steering system when paired with really low tire pressures.

You dont need them, but just be aware that you can beadlock your factory wheels...
7F5EE3B5-B14C-4E5B-81CE-E7FD4261DD79.jpeg

Last edited:
The closest real law I found was in WA that stated that nothing should protrude from the sides of the car from looking down from above. And it was specific to lug nuts, hubcaps, and disks or bolts. So technically if the bolts that hold on your bead stick out of your fender it is illegal
The single biggest argument I can come up with against the validity of that being the case is dang near every 1-ton or bigger truck on the road. The front hub and wheel center stick out far beyond the fenders. Here are examples from each of the Big 3...
1544231556767.jpeg
1544231580632.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTIeUoSCuLWQXpMQmOPKWtsW38A9K_GLXSYAKmRq7Kc9Xb1flW.jpg

Reactions: ac_
Bead locked wheels are not DOT approved. More importantly you need to service and inspect lock ring bolts frequently and torque them as they do loosen up with frequent trail use and abuse. I’ve never heard of anyone getting a ticket for them. The sheriffs department where I live runs them on their JK’s.

Thank you sir. Not sure if Tennessee has laws against beadlocks on the road, will have to check. Really like the look of these, most wheels I find now days look like they belong on a Caddy instead of a Jeep.
Bead locks are only illegal in Utah and New Jersey. They're 100% legal in other states. The Federal DOT has nothing against beadlocks either.

There is no such thing as a Federal DOT approved beadlock wheel. Period. The DOT has no approval process for beadlock wheels and per a letter from them they have nothing against their use on the highways. So far as the Federal DOT is concerned, per the letter I have a copy of, they have zero concerns over them. The Federal DOT has clearly stated they have no issues with beadlocks on the highways. They only said that some state DOTs may have restrictions on them but as of today only New Jersey and Utah have laws restricting their use within their state.

Reactions: Squatch
There is no such thing as a Federally DOT approved beadlock wheel. Period. The DOT has no approval process for beadlock wheels and per a letter from them they have nothing against their use on the highways. So far as the Federal DOT is concerned, per the letter I have a copy of, they have zero concerns over them. The Federal DOT has clearly stated they have no issues with beadlocks on the highways. They only said that some state DOTs may have restrictions on them but as of today only New Jersey and Utah have laws restricting their use within their state.
CORRECT the states mandate what is legal or not.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford