Can anyone tell me what this part is?

Bathtubbz

I have 2000 2.5 Jeep Wrangler SE, took it in the shop to get my state inspection and amongst a couple other things the shop failed it for “a loose egr block off plate” I did some research trying to buy a replacement plate and gasket and found nothing for my year wrangler, only for YJ’s and JK’s. This is the piece that’s loose I would love to replace it myself but I have no idea what it’s called, drivers side, underneath the intake manifold.

EA93B5BE-7CFB-4D04-9678-18B936E8771F.jpeg

24865451-941A-491A-8EA4-E5E6EC8D8EA8.jpeg

I believe its just called a EGR delete plate. 🤷‍♂️ unfortunately due to the EPA, likely legally selling a EGR delete plate for a modern vehicle with stricter emissions than a YJ is a no no, including off road use only terminology they used to get around with terming it as so.

the jeeps parts manual for your model only shows it included with a new manifold not listing the plate as a individual item to purchase alone.

if I were in your position, I would email whomever your finding one listing for a YJ and see what their return policy is being your questioning fitment or just try your luck.
id suspect your second option would be to buy a cheap replacement manifold, pull the plate & fasteners and scrap the manifold.

Reactions: matkal
Welcome to the forum. I'm interested to see what solution works out, so please let us know what you find.

Also, check out the SE thread in my signature line, and let us know if you have anything to add to them.

I have 2000 2.5 Jeep Wrangler SE, took it in the shop to get my state inspection and amongst a couple other things the shop failed it for “a loose egr block off plate” I did some research trying to buy a replacement plate and gasket and found nothing for my year wrangler, only for YJ’s and JK’s. This is the piece that’s loose I would love to replace it myself but I have no idea what it’s called, drivers side, underneath the intake manifold.

View attachment 339744

Probably a stupid question, but if it's just loose, can you not just tighten those two bolts? Or is there a missing gasket without which you can't get it tightened down?

Probably a stupid question, but if it's just loose, can you not just tighten those two bolts? Or is there a missing gasket without which you can't get it tightened down?

looks to me like the holes on the plate are rounded out in the photo.

if the plates good though a good auto part store should have exhaust gasket material you can cut and manufacture your own custom gasket.

Definitely gonna try to tighten them down first! It’s stripped but I might be able to get a slightly larger metric Allen wrench in there, the plate is solid so I could probably put a gasket in and tighten it down, does it being loose cause any issue other than the rattling? Thanks so much for the responses I’m glad to be a part of this community!

Those bolts are notorious for loosening up. My question is this..did they fail you because it's loose? Or because the egr is blocked off? If the latter you will need to install an egr valve and run the appropriate vacuum lines. I just removed one from a yj and it looked exactly like that so don't limit the search to tj.

I got to thinking..does the tj even use an egr valve in stock fashion? I know the yj does but I'm drawing a blank on tjs.

Well you have the replacement 2.5 "fits all years" manifold and as you are finding out it's a pos. The simplest solution is to locate a piece of high temp gasket material and fabricate yourself a new gasket. Only issue is no matter what you use it will ultimately fail. Used oem 2.5 manifolds pop up on ebay regularly and that is probably your best solution to have the problem go away barring any custom work.

Let the engine cool. Spray penatrating oil on those cap screws. Pull them out. Take the block off plate and trace around it to make a new gasket. If the cap screws are in good shape reinstall everything. If they aren’t match the threads up and use replacement bolts of your choice…

Fairly easy job. The TJs don’t use a traditional EGR. Your block off plate is “factory” so to speak. Made to fit different applications…