Can I drive without rear driveshaft?

Is that only for a transfer case with a slip yoke Eliminator?

An SYE or not, flange or otherwise shouldn't factor in this case, he has no rear driveshaft, regardless of the type of driveshaft needed or how it connects. The answer is the same whether we're talking about a stock SE, a Rubicon or a tummy-tucked TJ.

So how does the fluid inside the transfer case not come out or the crud from outside not get in the transfer case if the drive shaft is of the slip yolk variety? Once the slip yolk is pulled out of the transfer case there is a hole left behind that allows ingress and egress.

So how does the fluid inside the transfer case not come out or the crud from outside not get in the transfer case if the drive shaft is of the slip yolk variety? Once the slip yolk is pulled out of the transfer case there is a hole left behind that allows ingress and egress.

There’s an internal seal.

Did not know that, the internal seal on an exploded view does not really jump out at you when looking at it. It is easy to see the seal at the end of the housing for both the slip yoke style and fixed yoke.

Every time I drive in snow and ice I wish there was a way to disengage the rear drive shaft and be in 2WD in the front. Oh, well. I've learned to steer into the skid...

True on the older Wrangler YJs but not on the Wrangler TJ which has a seal on the tcase output shaft.

After grenading my Dana 35 in my old YJ I drove from Moab to Denver, pulling a small military trailer, in front wheel drive only, with a Detroit locker up front. You won’t hurt anything. If you have a mechanical locker up front you’ll get some weird torque steer, but that’s about the worst of it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford