Can I install a new engine and transmission as one unit?

JEEP GC

Newbee question to the group. You guys did a really great job in guiding me through the engine and tranny removal. Now I need some help with the install. Remanufactured 4.0L 5Spd engine from S&J coming at the end of the month. Novak Conversions delivered my new AX-15 today. Can I install the engine and tranny at one time (as one unit) or should I install the engine 1st. then the tranny. Or should I install the tranny 1sts. then the engine. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the space and equipment do them both at the same time. Lifting that transmission up, aligning the clutch, all from underneath is a pain. it's easier to do some disassembly of the body panels/radiator etc

If you have the space and equipment do them both at the same time. Lifting that transmission up, aligning the clutch, all from underneath is a pain. it's easier to do some disassembly of the body panels/radiator etc
The engine compartment is completely stripped. I figured if I spent the cash on a new engine and new tranny I might as well replace everything under the hood.....

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
No direct experience here, but I've seen where guys remove/install the entire assembly through the engine compartment, but it almost certainly involves removing the radiator & grill. Just be careful not to accidentally all your wiring as you ram it home. Motor mounts should be easy if you have all that stuff out of the way too.