Can I install a slip yoke eliminator if my TJ is stock height?

Joesouth4.0

This is my first question on here so thanks in advance for any help. I have a 2001 TJ sport 4.0 auto. I have been looking at installing a 4 inch lift. Most if not all the kits I have looked at include transfer case spacers to compensate for the increased drive shaft angle. There are some that state the SYE is required if there is an automatic transmission. I am mostly a DIY guy, working on this kind of stuff is a form of stress relief but I need to minimize the actual shop time so I wanted to do this is stages.

Can I install the SYE in its current stock height then later install the lift or will I need to plan on extended shop time to just do it all at the same time? then second, I want to confirm with the SYE the transfer case spacers are not needed? any other relevant info concerning this idea would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I would install the lift with the spacers that come with the kit. Then as time allows, remove the spacers and install the SYE kit. The SYE kit is a welcome addition over the spacers. Figure to allow two or three hours for the first timer doing the SYE in their driveway.....

The potential problem I see with just installing the tcase spacers for the 4" lift is that a 1" tcase drop is seldom enough to eliminate the drivetrain vibrations caused by that tall of a lift.

And installing the SYE kit and CV driveshaft before the suspension lift was installed would cause you to end up with a shorter driveshaft than would be correct once the 4" suspension lift was installed. You can't install just the SYE by itself without also installing the CV driveshaft.

Reactions: Matt131
The potential problem I see with just installing the tcase spacers for the 4" lift is that a 1" tcase drop is seldom enough to eliminate the drivetrain vibrations caused by that tall of a lift.

And installing the SYE kit and CV driveshaft before the suspension lift was installed would cause you to end up with a shorter driveshaft than would be correct once the 4" suspension lift was installed. You can't install just the SYE by itself without also installing the CV driveshaft.
I thought that would be the case, two drive shafts would not be very cost effective. it will be a little while before I can actually get this install started so I guess I have time to think about what is best for where I am going with this project.
thanks for the info

I would install the lift with the spacers that come with the kit. Then as time allows, remove the spacers and install the SYE kit. The SYE kit is a welcome addition over the spacers. Figure to allow two or three hours for the first timer doing the SYE in their driveway.....
initially I was going to do exactly what you are talking about. what threw me off was the automatic transmission exception called out on one of the kits I am looking at. also I know its minor but the work involved with the transfer case drop then undoing that to install the SYE just seemed counter productive.

thanks for the insight from your experience

initially I was going to do exactly what you are talking about. what threw me off was the automatic transmission exception called out on one of the kits I am looking at. also I know its minor but the work involved with the transfer case drop then undoing that to install the SYE just seemed counter productive.

thanks for the insight from your experience

its about your only two choices....... FYI I have an automatic and a 4 in., install the pucks and wait on SYE or install all at once.

Reactions: Joesouth4.0
When you order the new driveshaft they will ask for the measurement between the yoke on the axle and the one on the transfer case. I installed my lift before installing the SYE then played with the lower control arms until I could get most the vibs out. Once I was done I ordered the SYE w/ tom woods shaft. I don't believe I ever installed the drop. SYE is actually a fairly painless process and can be done with the TC still in the jeep. You only need a new rear shaft the front will be fine. Additionally, you may need adjustable upper control arms in order to get your pinion angle right with the SYE.

If you have any questions call customer support at Tom Woods. They are extremely helpful and will without a doubt point you in the correct direction.

... You can't install just the SYE by itself without also installing the CV driveshaft.
Can you install a CV (or other) driveshaft without the SYE??

If you install adjustable control arms and rotate the axle assembly, could it work to minimize or eliminate any vibrations on a 3" or 4" suspension lift??