Can I put a 2015 Wrangler motor and transmission in a 2004 wrangler TJ?

Any swap is "possible," but the wiring would end up being a nightmare. What makes it difficult is the BUS types used. Your TJ uses a PCI bus, and i know at least the early model JK uses a CAN. Wranglers up to 2000 were CCD. If you have no idea what I am talking about, I wouldnt even look into it.
If you want to do a swap in a PCI TJ, in my opinion the 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi is a better candidate. My TJ, being a CCD, meant the 5.2 magnum/318 was a better candidate. Again, if your pockets are EXTREMELY deep, then sure anything is possible.

Reactions: Jamison C and Daryl
You can put a Viper V10 in a TJ if you have the money and patience.

So yes, you can make that swap work, but it is a highly undocumented swap, there are little to no conversion parts required for the swap (not like there is for LS or Hemi swaps), and by the time all is said and done, it would be cheaper to do an LS or Hemi swap, which is proven, well documented, and has all the conversion parts readily available.

• Haha
Reactions: billiebob
Possible? Yes. A realistic project for the average Jeeper? Nope, based on the electronics and computer requirements of that engine.

You can put a Viper V10 in a TJ if you have the money and patience.
I'd do the Viper V10 long before the JK V6.But there are plenty of LS swaps available.

2005-Jeep-Viper-Interior-1.jpg

Why do you need a different motor? There is no shortage of remanufactured, bolt in 4.0L engines out there. I've done 2, both with 7 year warranties.

I swear by these guys.

https://www.sandjengines.com

Last edited:
I'd do the Viper V10 long before the JK V6.
I wouldn't. The Viper V10 is horribly expensive, very long, hard to deal with, and rare, very rare. The higher horsepower JK V-6 is common, cheap, and a much better swap due to cost and availability with a far superior transmission if the auto is acquired with it. The only hard part of the swap is picking up an output for the vehicle speed sensor since that is done at the wheels in the JK.
You'd wet all over yourself if your Rubi had a '15 JK V6 in it since it blows away the 4.0 in every aspect.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford