Can I upgrade one differential at a time?

Cisco03tj

I just bought a 03 X with 33s and a 2.5 lift with stock differentials. I want to upgrade to Dana 44 with lockers and possibly upgrade to 35 tires in the future. Can I upgrade one differential at a time if so witch one should I do first and will it affect anything else besides re-gearing.

You can replace a complete axle one at a time. If you are changing ring and pinions, you can also do them one at a time. Just remove the front driveshaft.

Most folks replace the complete rear axle first. But it’s good to have an idea of what you want in the front to complement the back.

IMO, one should just set the money aside to setup to have both axles re-geared at the same time. Your ring and pinion guy will thank you. Just do both regearing at once and be done with it.

Reactions: JMT
Your front axle will be fine with 35's, just replace the rear with a Dana 44... or you can upgrade your present Dana 35 with a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear or Yukon. A Super 35 kit includes 30 spline 1541H alloy axle shafts plus your choice of a locker. A Super 35 with 30 spline axle shafts will easy handle 35" tires together with a locker on any trail that can be conquered with 35's.

You can replace a complete axle one at a time. If you are changing ring and pinions, you can also do them one at a time. Just remove the front driveshaft.

Most folks replace the complete rear axle first. But it’s good to have an idea of what you want in the front to complement the back.

IMO, one should just set the money aside to setup to have both axles re-geared at the same time. Your ring and pinion guy will thank you. Just do both regearing at once and be done with it.
Thanks for your quick reply

Your front axle will be fine with 35's, just replace the rear with a Dana 44... or you can upgrade your present Dana 35 with a Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear or Yukon. A Super 35 kit includes 30 spline 1541H alloy axle shafts plus your choice of a locker. A Super 35 with 30 spline axle shafts will easy handle 35" tires together with a locker on any trail that can be conquered with 35's.
Thank you also for your reply

If I understand correctly my stock front dana 30 is fine the way it is. I don't have to re-gear it even if I upgrade and re-gear my rear dana 35 and also replace my 33s tires with 35s.

Thank you again for your advice

you need to re gear both axles the same.
a stock Dana 30 could use better shafts and definitely beefier steering linkage, to run 35's
the rear axle could be upgraded to a super 35 or find a Dana 44.

but both front and rear need to have the same gear ratio's.

I'd probably just save up and do both at once. Like you could replace the rear with a Dana 44 geared the way you want it, and regear the front to match. Or whatever.

But I suppose you could remove the front driveshaft and do the axles one at a time, you just won't have 4WD until you're done.

Reactions: JMT
Shift on the the fly should be avoided unless both axles are geared the same but dropping the front drive shaft isn't needed while in 2wd. If you do need 4wd due to low traction when the gearing doesn't match just shift into it when stopped.

Where in Northern California are you, Mountains or flatland? When you re-gear, what ratio do you plan to go to, something that will work for 33’s and still be good for 35’s?

If I understand correctly my stock front dana 30 is fine the way it is. I don't have to re-gear it even if I upgrade and re-gear my rear dana 35 and also replace my 33s tires
Whoops to be clear you will have to regear the Dana 30 to match the rear axle ratio or you won't be able to shift into 4x4.

I'd probably just save up and do both at once. Like you could replace the rear with a Dana 44 geared the way you want it, and regear the front to match. Or whatever.

But I suppose you could remove the front driveshaft and do the axles one at a time, you just won't have 4WD until you're done.
Got it, thanks everyone